Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 04-16-2018, 08:42 PM   #11
planeflyer21

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driving, Desert Exploring
planeflyer21 is on a distinguished road

Well 98v70dad, I know you don't want to order online but I did, primarily because I was disappointed with the high-overhead pricing for Autozone/O'Reilley.

I ordered a front set from CarID that were "heavy duty for trailer towing" brakes.

I ordered several things at once, all were drop shipped, and all got to my doorstep crazy fast. Not sure what got here last but I ordered Sunday online and the last item to arrive got here Thursday.

That was all with CarID's standard shipping.

Brakes work great!
planeflyer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Premium Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 83E98FB3D89C78 Expires: June 26, 2018
Old 04-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #12
98v70dad

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Ranger
98v70dad is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=adsm08;1622237]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98v70dad View Post
Yeah. Mid 90s fords had issues with the rotors. They easily overheated and warped. My crown Vic drove me crazy with pulsing until I discovered the heavy duty ones. Driving in Atlanta traffic pounds the brakes. Frequent 70 mph to zero stops due to traffic. Sometimes you've got to stand on the brakes to stop. Also we get a lot of really heavy rains that put standing water on the roads. A splash of cold water on hot brakes will warp them pretty quick.

[\quote]

Been there, done that, never going back.

A whee speed sensor has an exciter ring, or a tone ring, to give the sensor something to look at. It counts the number of teeth and how quickly they go by to determine how fast a wheel is going.

A RABS-only truck has no front wheel speed sensors. Wheel lock-up is guessed at by how quickly the rear axle speed sensor sheds it's speed.

A 4WABS truck will have the rear axle sensor as well as a speed sensor at each front wheel.

A RABS rotor has no tone ring on the inner side. A 4WABS rotor does. That is the only difference. A 4WABS rotor on a RABS truck produces normal operation. A RABS rotor on a 4WABS truck makes the front wheel speed signals not exist. Also, the last time I priced them (my truck not actually having ABS I just wanted the cheapest ones) the 4WABS rotors with the tone rings were cheaper.

There is nothing about the rear drums or the number of teeth that factors into this.
Atlanta is a good place to live except for the horrible traffic. I waste 2 hours every day in traffic. Thanks for the info on the rotor types. I was trying to avoid getting under there to look for sensors unless I had to.
98v70dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 08:50 PM   #13
98v70dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by planeflyer21 View Post
Well 98v70dad, I know you don't want to order online but I did, primarily because I was disappointed with the high-overhead pricing for Autozone/O'Reilley.

I ordered a front set from CarID that were "heavy duty for trailer towing" brakes.

I ordered several things at once, all were drop shipped, and all got to my doorstep crazy fast. Not sure what got here last but I ordered Sunday online and the last item to arrive got here Thursday.

That was all with CarID's standard shipping.

Brakes work great!
I order almost all my car parts online but I needed them by Friday. 2 day shipping on something that heavy is more than I want to pay. Rotors aren't that bad. I may just do the pads. The truck is still on the original pads if you can believe it. I got the truck from my dad and he never drove it much and he did very little maintenance on it. The grabbing may just be nearly worn out pads.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:58 PM   #14
98v70dad

I decided to replace the pads and hope for the best. I used new napa premium pads. For the first three days (about 100 miles) the brakes were great. Today the pulsing came back (rained all day). It comes and goes which is odd. I've replaced a lot of brake pads but never had this happen. Usually pulsing doesn't go away and come back. Pulsing was really minor and happened rarely before the new pads. Its a lot more severe now but its still coming and going.

The pads were original from 1996 and worn down to almost the wear indicators. Pins were discolored but not pitted or rough. I cleaned them up, lubed them with brake lube and reused them. The pads came with new hardware so I used the new hardware. I lubed up all the contact points and the backs of the pads.

Anyhow, maybe its just the rotors and they need to be replaced, but the intermittent thing doesn't make sense.

Any ideas for me?
Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM   #15
4x4junkie
Mall-Rated

Vehicle Year: 1990,1994
Vehicle Model: Bronco II, Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Crawling over things
4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold4x4junkie is a splendid one to behold

You mention the pulsing returning after it had been raining...
Do the brakes also feel real grabby when it happens? (like it's causing the ABS to activate)?

The rain thing has me suspecting it might actually be the rear drum brake shoes that often get grabby (sometimes exceedingly so) when the humidity is real high.

If they feel grabby, see if you can get it to go away by riding the parking brake for a block or two to warm the brakes up a bit (be gentle at first--- hold the brake release so you can let the pedal back up right away. If they're real grabby this could actually lock up the wheels, so you'll want to do this away from other traffic)... If things return to normal after doing this, then that is where your issue is.

I've never been able to find a good solution for this on mine (been through 3 different sets of shoes), so I've always just dealt with it by heating the brakes up some with the parking brake when it happens, after which they're fine until the next morning or after the truck has been parked for some hours (or when clear weather returns).

'94 Ranger XLT
6" Skyjacker, ARB D44 front, Detroit 8.8" rear, Atlas 4.3, 33s

Last edited by 4x4junkie; Yesterday at 06:58 PM.
4x4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:07 AM   #16
98v70dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4junkie View Post
You mention the pulsing returning after it had been raining...
Do the brakes also feel real grabby when it happens? (like it's causing the ABS to activate)?

The rain thing has me suspecting it might actually be the rear drum brake shoes that often get grabby (sometimes exceedingly so) when the humidity is real high.

If they feel grabby, see if you can get it to go away by riding the parking brake for a block or two to warm the brakes up a bit (be gentle at first--- hold the brake release so you can let the pedal back up right away. If they're real grabby this could actually lock up the wheels, so you'll want to do this away from other traffic)... If things return to normal after doing this, then that is where your issue is.

I've never been able to find a good solution for this on mine (been through 3 different sets of shoes), so I've always just dealt with it by heating the brakes up some with the parking brake when it happens, after which they're fine until the next morning or after the truck has been parked for some hours (or when clear weather returns).
I'll give that a try. I got the truck in October. I know the history because my dad gave it to me. He is famous for doing no maintenance on ANY vehicle until in breaks. So, I can guarantee the rear shoes have never been changed. I don't particularly like doing shoe changes on drum brakes so I didn't do them when I did the front. That said, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

I currently have a lot of dad's deferred maintenance to do. I'm not sure, but I think the truck still has original hoses in the cooling system. They're next. Well actually I need to replace the DPFE sensor first. As I clear trouble codes a new one pops up a few drive cycles later. P0401 is the latest. I purged the coolant when I got the truck. It was so rusty/dirty that it looked like raw sewerage. You can see through it now. Clean coolant makes me happy!