Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Old 04-15-2018, 10:33 PM   #1
ZeroHour

Vehicle Year: 87 & 88
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Rangers
I use this vehicle for: Works in progress
ZeroHour is on a distinguished road
Default Searching for 87 2.0 Fuel level sending unit (mechanical pump)

I'm having a pita of a time hunting for this sending unit. I bought the truck with I believe 88k original miles but it's been sitting for a couple of years and I'm going through things to bring it back up to par.

I plan to rebuild the carb, and replace everything else on back, including the tank with holes, and the sending unit which also has a hole or two and a lot of rust. I've been searching ebay, parts sites, and forums in search but I'm not sure of the part number and need to ask if anyone knows where I'd start for that number without having the sending unit in hand?

P.S.- Also realize that RPS forums are no more? I've been away so long
ZeroHour is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Premium Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 83E98FB3D89C78 Expires: June 26, 2018
Old 04-16-2018, 06:54 AM   #2
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

This might be something you have to end up making by getting the whole low pressure pump assembly off a 2.3/2.9 truck and removing the pump, and replacing it with some line down to the strainer.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Hunger looks very much like evil from the wrong end of the cutlery.
I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #3
tomw

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: for everything
My credo: vertical and above ground
tomw has a spectacular aura abouttomw has a spectacular aura abouttomw has a spectacular aura about

Just because the metal is rusty does not mean it is defective. It is worth connecting it to the gauge and moving the float manually after cleaning it up to remove loose stuff.
It will be bathed in fuel once installed, and not have as much tendency to corrode.
IOW, make sure it's broken before taking the time to replace it given it's made of hens teeth(or unobtainium).
tom
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
ZeroHour

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
This might be something you have to end up making by getting the whole low pressure pump assembly off a 2.3/2.9 truck and removing the pump, and replacing it with some line down to the strainer.
That's what I was considering as well. Then I'd have to also obtain a pigtail to switch over and such. None of this being a major task, but I was hoping to keep it original'ish ya know?

As far as just replacing it all willy nilly though. I don't want it to fail or become a problem down the road. It literally has holes rusted into the pickup tube, so I suspect even if I clean it and avoid producing more holes, patching those is a gamble depending on what substance I use to patch them that would actual resist years of gas and ethanol. I intend to restore and sell the truck and put the funds toward my supercabs but I don't want it to give anyone else trouble down the road.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:07 PM   #5
AdirondackRanger

Vehicle Year: 88
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: u-pull it parts are the best
My credo: I brake for leaves that could be frogs
AdirondackRanger is on a distinguished road

I went through the same issue with my 87. I ended up ordering the BrII part number. Then modifying it by cutting the ring off the original unit and welding it on to the new unit. The BRII unit has a smaller diameter ring due to the small opening in the tank. I then bent the drop tube with a pipe bender to match the original.
AdirondackRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:49 PM   #6
ZeroHour

I got super lucky, though little more than I wanted to spend on used, I found one on ebay. Snatched it up and awaiting arrival along with all the parts from advance so I can pretty much restore this thing and have it up to par.