• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Should I Keep My Ranger?

CanuckRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've had my 2011 Sport for about 3 months now, bought it brand new. While yes, I do like my truck, and has yet to give me any problems, the gas mileage is less than stellar, and I travel roughly 60-70 kms everyday, so its costing me roughly 90 bucks a week in gas. I like having a 4x4 truck, but this is what im intrigued in getting.

2012 Ford Fusion SE
2.5L 4 cyl, 6 speed auto trans
Fully Loaded, Power Everything
Moonroof
Sync
and rated for 47 MPG highway.

Versus my Ranger, which has a cd and sirius, and thats it for options.

I can get a sales demo one for roughly what I paid for my Ranger, right around 17,000. I know that I am going to take a loss in this deal, and that posting this in a Ranger site is not exactly the best idea, but I am looking for some opinions on what I should do.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
short answer ...... yes.....

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Short answer... No. Sure the ranger gets less mileage, but will you have the fusion long enough to make up the loss you took on the deal? In other words will the fusion save you enough on gas to outweight the loss?

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
If you wanted a gas siper you should have bought a small car. You bought a truck, what do you expect? Add a bed cover and you will get a bit more gas milage but that is about it. You bought a truck, Eh?

CanuckRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Don't get me wrong here, I knew the Ranger wouldnt be good on gas. But I guess it was more or less, I have a truck, I won't care all that much about gas mileage. I had a 4.0 Explorer for 3 years, so I am no stranger to how much gas these things burn. I just got the chance to try the Fusion out, and I was so impressed with the equipment and options, that it got me thinking. and yes, if I get it, Ill be keeping it for the next 5-8 years.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
go for it if that's what you want

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
well.....you talked us into it!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you don't really need a truck then it wouldn't be smart to have one compared to a car. The car will save you coming and going with gas and insurance compared to a truck on top of being much nicer to drive with more seating.

If you do need a truck it wouldn't be all that smart to ditch it for a car.

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
If you don't really need a truck then it wouldn't be smart to have one compared to a car. The car will save you coming and going with gas and insurance compared to a truck on top of being much nicer to drive with more seating.

If you do need a truck it wouldn't be all that smart to ditch it for a car.
+1. A truck is meant to be used to haul stuff. Do you need a vehicle that can do "truck things?" If you need a truck, keep it. If not, sell it and get a car.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
You also have to remember that the Ranger has the aerodynamics of a brick. With that being said, throw a cover over the bed like Straycat said (shutters) and drive the damn thing. It is better to have the option of hauling and not need it then need it and not have it.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It seems absurd to go out and buy another vehicle like the Focus if you're taking a hit. You're saving slightly on fuel but you're paying more in the long run? Don't bother arguing fuel economy, that won't make a difference in the long run.

It sounds like you've made up your mind and you want the options. Why buy a 2012 and take a hit when you can get a slightly older Focus for cheaper and still get the economy?

Face it, you just want a new car. If you were really concerned about saving pennies you wouldn't be buying a new car.

Sent from my iPhone while clubbing baby seals. There's an app for that!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It seems absurd to go out and buy another vehicle like the Focus if you're taking a hit. You're saving slightly on fuel but you're paying more in the long run? Don't bother arguing fuel economy, that won't make a difference in the long run.
Just doing rough math, considering the Ranger gets 20mpg (generous IMO) and the Fusion gets 40mpg (less than it is rated) and he is burning $100 a week it would be an extra $50 per week or $200 per four week month by doubling his fuel economy. That is a difference and to me it is not small.

And I bet selling private party he could make it close to a wash expenswise.

I do agree about the used part though, I would find one a year or two old... but for that matter I would wait for the neater looking '13s to get to that point. :D

CanuckRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the opinions guys, I just want to also add that my truck is not just a grocery getter, New Brunswick is like 90% woods, so my truck sees lots of rough roads and I do use it for truck stuff when I need it, I started weighing the pros and cons of the situation, and I think that while its somewhat hard on fuel, and excellently unequipped, I'm probably gonna stick with the Ranger, mainly for all the perks of being a truck owner. Plus ive been driving a RBV for nearly 4 years, so I don't know how well i would adjust to owning a car.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
By the way....my mom has a new Fusion 2011. My niece has a 2010 and neither of them are getting 30 mpg. I know a few other people with Fusions and they tell me that are not getting any where 47 mpg. Where is this great Ford Fusion gas milage supposed to be? My 2010 Rouge AWD is getting just over 35 mpg at 75 mph with a Yakima roof rack, basketcase and fairing. use the same set up on my Ranger with a roof rack / basketcase and fairing. My Ranger gets 24 mpg on the highway with 33x12.5 AT KO tires.

Where do you get the info for 47 mpg? Here are the specs for 2010/2011/2012 as per Fords/Edmund's websites:

Fuel Economy Ford Fusion EPA MPG

Ford Fusion FWD 4 cyl, 2.5 L, Automatic (S6), Regular Gasoline
22 City 25 Combined 30 Highway

Ford Fusion FWD 4 cyl, 2.5 L, Automatic 6-spd, Regular Gasoline
23 City 26 Combined 33 Highway

nitrofan1

Man without a Ranger
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
EJ251
Transmission
Automatic
Well, good points all. I would keep it. Even if it wasn't a Ranger a truck is easier to maintain, much more durable and over the life of the vehicle cheaper to own. I do like the fusions and would own one but for virtually any situation I drive my Rangers 3 to 1 over my 04 Forester. Even when gas prices kick me in the ass.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals