• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

another tranny question...

timfost85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hi all, I am putting together my M5R1 transmission and I've just installed the 5th/reverse shift fork on the 5th/reverse rail. Is there supposed to be a marble type bearing on the 5th/reverse shift fork in the center circular groove where the 5th/reverse shift lever goes? If it doesn't go there, where else would it go? I already installed the one marble type bearing on the counter cluster gear shaft where the C/S sleeve attaches. I thought that this marble type bearing sat on the 5th/reverse shift fork, but it doesn't seem to fit there when I attached the shift lever.

Thanks again.

Tim

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The ball goes in the fork. If you remove the lever from the side of the case and look at the fork from the top, there is a hole for the ball there under the lever.

timfost85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
So it'll sit right under the lever? It seems really tight and it doesn't sit very snug in the fork...

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That is where I put mine, and I did not seem to have any issues, but there is a spring in the fork on the other side of the rail. The more I think about it I believe I may have assembled mine incorrectly. I know there are notches in the rail, and i think that ball may be for a detent, in which case it would sit down under the rail against the spring.

I think I will need to take the back end of my trans back apart again.

Unfortunately Ford never thought the OD gear set would ever come apart, something it tends to do quite easily, and so they didn't really give any instructions for putting it back together.

timfost85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Keep me posted if you figure anything out. I'll do the same as I continue to tinker with it. Thanks!

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Do two things for me.

1) Take note of the position of the notches in the rail. Do the point towards the bottom of the trans when the rail is installed?

2) See if the ball can be put all the way through to sit in the hole next to the spring.

When I get back to work tomorrow I am going to take my shifter and see if 5th gear feels off when I shift in.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Ok, I got to work and checked mine. It went in and out of gear ok but didn't click. I tore it down and looked, that ball does not under the rail. I would have the ball in and try to put it down onto the rail. I was able to do mine by removing the rail and pushing the ball down, but it would probably have been easier to do it the other way.

timfost85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hmm... I'm not sure if I follow...

timfost85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Okay... The marble bearing gets pressed down into the fifth/rev shifter. It can be inserted through the hole at the top and it will go into a spring into the bottom. I used a punch to push it down while it was sliding it onto the rail. There are three notches in the rail at the bottom which allows the marble bearing to notch into when you go into fifth or reverse. See the picture below.

IMG_20150331_132013.jpg

On another note, the bearing that attaches to the end of the countershaft... The silver one in the left of the picture below is what I took off, and the only thing that came in the kit that remotely matches what I took off is the red bearing on the right. It does fit, but I'm just not sure if it's the correct one. Can anybody help me identify this part and tell me if it's the correct bearing for the countershaft?

IMG_20150331_135703.jpg

timfost85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also, these are the pieces from the transmission rebuild kit I can't seem to find a home for. Could someone help me identify? Might some of them possibly before transfer case? Thanks!

IMG_20150331_144349.jpg

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That red piece may or may not be a bearing. I can't tell without holding it in my hand, I've never seen one like that before.

The other pieces you pictured, the big one looks like it might be the tail seal for a 2wd trans.

The other pieces are the gasket for the shifter and the shifter bushings. Take the 3 torx bolts out of the gold plate on the very top, you will see where they go.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The red one just looks like an off-the-shelf sealed bearing. The red seals will come off if you use a pic or something to remove them. The snap ring will also come off.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals