• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Loose Steering, Possibly Gearbox?

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
I drive a 1994 Extended Cab Ranger, 4.0 OHV, auto tranny, auto 4x4, D35 front, 8.8 w/3.73 rear, everything about this truck is stock and you can safely assume that until I gained possession of it in November 2014 it was taken care of poorly. My steering traveled an eighth of a turn in either direction before it would turn the wheels when I bought it. I replaced the front shocks, ball joints, inspected the tie rod ends, and got new tires all the way around and while it's not as ridiculous as before, the steering wheel still has a fair amount of play in it, also worth mentioning the steering wheel points slightly left(about an eighth of a turn) when I'm moving straight. I know for a fact that my power steering pump is going bad since it growls like a son of a gun when I turn the wheel even slightly, also at around 25mph the power steering starts to slip(by which I mean it gets harder to turn the wheel at some points which seem to occur randomly) it gets worse the slower I go, it hasn't given out completely yet but I know it's only a matter of time.

Would a bad pump be enough to cause this, or is it more likely my steering gearbox is out of adjustment or bad(my wallet hopes it's not the latter)? And if it's the steering gearbox, how would I go about adjusting it? Any help for a newbie is appreciated. :icon_bounceblue:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
the steering wheel being off center when driving straight can be corrected with an alignment. the "slipping" of the power steering could be something is binding, maybe your gear box. I got my truck from my F-I-Law he had to replace the gearbox on it the week before i picked it up from him. good timing for me. it was getting hard to steer then he pulled in to get gas and fluid was gushing out from under the truck. the box ended up breaking open. it did have trouble steering from time to time and just gave out.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I recently replaced the power steering gear box on mine with a manual box to correct a leaking PS fluid container (I didn't want PS) and it wasn't a difficult job at all. But, then again, my 2.5 had no A/C and very little in the way...

If you do this yourself there are some things you might want to know if you don't already...like the best way to do it et al. Yours is a bit more complicated but can be done easy enough with a bit of patience and all the right parts...The YouTube video below is for replacing the pump and reservoir (if needed) but you will need to get most of that out of the way to get near the steering box. If you have a hoist or like working from below you might be able to get at it that way...again, not difficult but definitely tighter.

Replacing the power steering pump and reservoir might restore the wheel slop or stiffen things up a bit...but it could be the actual gear box below that...and I couldn't tell you how to determine that other than to replace the part...

Going to a junkyard that allows you to pull parts yourself is very educational as you get to practice with someone else's junk...:icon_rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP_ezCkSFjU

Last edited:

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
the steering wheel being off center when driving straight can be corrected with an alignment. the "slipping" of the power steering could be something is binding, maybe your gear box. I got my truck from my F-I-Law he had to replace the gearbox on it the week before i picked it up from him. good timing for me. it was getting hard to steer then he pulled in to get gas and fluid was gushing out from under the truck. the box ended up breaking open. it did have trouble steering from time to time and just gave out.
I got an alignment free with the tires so the steering wheel is something else. It doesn't really feel like it's grabbing, every time I lose the PS it gradually gets worse and then gradually gets better, I hope that made sense.

I recently replaced the power steering gear box on mine with a manual box to correct a leaking PS fluid container (I didn't want PS) and it wasn't a difficult job at all. But, then again, my 2.5 had no A/C and very little in the way...

If you do this yourself there are some things you might want to know if you don't already...like the best way to do it et al. Yours is a bit more complicated but can be done easy enough with a bit of patience and all the right parts...The YouTube video below is for replacing the pump and reservoir (if needed) but you will need to get most of that out of the way to get near the steering box. If you have a hoist or like working from below you might be able to get at it that way...again, not difficult but definitely tighter.

Replacing the power steering pump and reservoir might restore the wheel slop or stiffen things up a bit...but it could be the actual gear box below that...and I couldn't tell you how to determine that other than to replace the part...

Going to a junkyard that allows you to pull parts yourself is very educational as you get to practice with someone else's junk...:icon_rofl:
I'll do the PS pump first since it's cheaper and I know it's bad, my A/C system is broken and depressurized so I can actually remove the whole assembly from the vehicle safely. My high pressure line is leaking at the pump too, it's not leaking a lot but it's been doing it consistently for awhile since there is a buildup of an oily substance near it.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
if you got an alignment, and they didn't straighten the steering wheel, i wouldn't get an alignment from them again. free or not.

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
F y i

You could have the same problem I've got with my 93, your symptoms sound a lot like mine........you can try to adjust the worm gear on top the steerin box, with AC it can be a PITA to get too, but a try before you replace anythin.......

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
if you got an alignment, and they didn't straighten the steering wheel, i wouldn't get an alignment from them again. free or not.
I've never heard of anyone doing that, I'm pretty sure it skipped a gear somewhere along the line with all the front end problems it has had. It's an easy fix to realign the steering wheel I just have to get around to it.

You could have the same problem I've got with my 93, your symptoms sound a lot like mine........you can try to adjust the worm gear on top the steerin box, with AC it can be a PITA to get too, but a try before you replace anythin.......
YES! This is what I was looking for, thank you so much! I wasn't sure what I needed to adjust but I could've sworn there was something I could. As I mentioned my A/C is broke right now so I can completely remove it from the vehicle safely. Thank you so much! :yahoo:

timfost85

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I had to sl replace my steering gear box on my 93. I just got one at the junk yard for $25 off of a 94 and it wasn't very difficult. You mentioned you did front end work. Did you change tie rod ends and miscount turns? That'll throw of alignment quickly...

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I had to sl replace my steering gear box on my 93. I just got one at the junk yard for $25 off of a 94 and it wasn't very difficult. You mentioned you did front end work. Did you change tie rod ends and miscount turns? That'll throw of alignment quickly...
My alignment is fine, I got it done 3 months ago after all the front end work was finished and I haven't even driven 3,000 miles yet. I didn't change the tie rod ends since they didn't show any sign of excessive wear. I also looked underneath while my brother turned the wheel and whatever was causing the slack in steering wasn't in the front end.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The mis-alignment of the steering wheel is what people are saying should have been part of the alignment. It is laziness on the tech's part as he has to do a test drive and then adjust the toe on both sides to bring the wheel into correct position. Sometimes it can take two, three or more tries to get it right.

As far as the steering box, with a helper turning the wheel, you should be able to see if the pitman arm is keeping time with the column. If there is a difference then your box needs work or replacement. Adjusting the slack on the steering box can be tricky, and may not work but is worth a shot. As long as you realize that you could ruin it, but at this point that doesn't really matter. What happens is it gets worn in the center because that's where the steering is most of the time. If you adjust all the slack out in the center, then at the outer portions it gets too tight and can break. Just be aware and don't tighten too much.
PS, check the rag joint.
Good luck,

Richard

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
^^^ Rag joints can cause a lot of slop; but, not the steering wheel misalignment.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^ Rag joints can cause a lot of slop; but, not the steering wheel misalignment.
You're right. I was talking about two seperate issues.

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
The mis-alignment of the steering wheel is what people are saying should have been part of the alignment. It is laziness on the tech's part as he has to do a test drive and then adjust the toe on both sides to bring the wheel into correct position. Sometimes it can take two, three or more tries to get it right.
Gotcha, it doesn't bother me too much I can fix that once I get the slack fixed. Although I wont be going to that shop again for any work free or not, a friend of mine has been getting their brakes done consistently at that shop. They never changed the brake fluid so it now has algae growing in it...

As far as the steering box, with a helper turning the wheel, you should be able to see if the pitman arm is keeping time with the column. If there is a difference then your box needs work or replacement. Adjusting the slack on the steering box can be tricky, and may not work but is worth a shot. As long as you realize that you could ruin it, but at this point that doesn't really matter. What happens is it gets worn in the center because that's where the steering is most of the time. If you adjust all the slack out in the center, then at the outer portions it gets too tight and can break. Just be aware and don't tighten too much.
PS, check the rag joint.
Good luck,

Richard
I checked the rag joints and they were fine. I had my brother turn the wheel and I noticed there is a difference past the gearbox, it is a very slight difference when looking at the pitman arm but I guess it gets more exaggerated at the steering wheel for obvious reasons. I'll change the pump first but it's starting to look like a new gearbox is in order. Thanks for all the help guys.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
If the pump is making all sorts of noises (and only getting worse), then no doubt it's already on it's way out and is probably spewing all sorts of metal particulate throughout the system, damaging the box.

I suggest replacing both the pump and the box together so that whatever crap is now in the box doesn't take out your new pump (and vice-versa). At the very least put an inline filter on your return hose (though it sounds like the damage has already been done to both components).

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If the pump is making all sorts of noises (and only getting worse), then no doubt it's already on it's way out and is probably spewing all sorts of metal particulate throughout the system, damaging the box.

I suggest replacing both the pump and the box together so that whatever crap is now in the box doesn't take out your new pump (and vice-versa). At the very least put an inline filter on your return hose (though it sounds like the damage has already been done to both components).
I'll get an inline filter and flush out the gearbox and PS cooler as best as I can. I can't afford to replace the steering gearbox right now, if I could they would both be replaced.

I saw this was moved so I apologize to the mods for posting in the wrong section.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals