• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wal-Mart tire and lube....

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Good god.

Since i busy lately and am tired of crawling under vehicles for a while i took rusty 2.0 to china-mart for an oil change.

Sat there an hour waiting, just so they could pull it in, pop the hood, pull it back out and come in and tell me this...

"Uh, we cant change the oil in your truck, we pulled it in and the oil pressure gauge shows no pressure and the check oil light is on." (Which smelled bs'ey anyways cause the oil light sensor on the pan is unhooked)

Since it was fine when i parked it i went out to the parking lot, fired it up, and all was fine. Went back in, said, "Hmm, its fine now"

Kid played stupid and gave me the whole company policy speech.

Why would they not wanna screw with it? Thats the only thing i can come up with.

I took it to tireman and they changed it and all is well, but good christ.

Just needed to rant.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
One reason is they do not want to get sued by the customer. Also walmart mainly hires the (not all employees but most) most incompetent people that have no business filling washer fluid much less changing engine oil. I talked to one of their (techs) before and they told me that people apply for the job to gain some sort of experience to try and move into a better more involved shop. So unfortunately the customers are the test subjects. I lost count of how many engines I have heard of over the years blowing up because walmart did not put the oil plug in or tighten the drain plug.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Im not gonna sue them over a 31yr old 2.9...

I understand that side of it, but why would they lie about the gauge?

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I'm sure you would not sue but there are people that will sue for stuipid reasons. My guess is because it is old and they are scared to mess with anything in fear of breaking something. Even though your truck is tough to break. Oh and it is easier to lie than tell the truth.

Oh and read these reviews. You will love it.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/walmart.htm

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I know some amazing reading material there huh.:icon_surprised::icon_rofl:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
go to the next walmart. or is it too far away?

i use them for our shop trucks, though i have to meet who does it and inspect the plug pre and post till i trust them. that has caused issues because they dont want you in the pit due to insurance yada yada yada....

but the cost of using good oil and tire rotations (i supply a high efficiency filter) is awesome...like 50 bux and lifetime rotation from there. the sensors in the new trucks are a pia so its worth it...

if they didnt have the tire rotation deal i would likely just go to valvoline with the shop trucks. but those tires get fawked up if you dont rotate them every 5 k .

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
i use them for our shop trucks, though i have to meet who does it and inspect the plug pre and post till i trust them....
And this does nothing to help me trust them any more lol. Sad you have to watch over them to get the job done correctly.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I never understood why people think that Wal-Mart and care care go together.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
car care...mmmmm...

yeah.

not a first thing...but oil change and tire rotation...

for sure i would rather have a guy like you doing this work on the fleet stuff. absolutely would do such as well.

simply put, i dont have time to deal with these necessities with fleet trucks on the fly....walmart is everywhere...and easy to log and track. the savings over say a firestone shop or nation is over 100 percent on some of the trucks..service on one of the 2017 full syn trucks with tire rotation at national is 128 and the same at the walmart is 58...and might take a day or two to get in.

for my truck... they likely 8 out of 10 stores would not even service it, so dont feel bad rusty. of course that franken truck i have would be refused for different reasons...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
for sure i would rather have a guy like you doing this work on the fleet stuff. absolutely would do such as well.
I almost had a deal like that. The guy I bought my house from is one of the higher-ups at a local construction company, and they were looking at bringing on a part time guy just for fleet maintenance when we closed. 90% of their fleet is Ford 1/2 and 3/4 tons trucks too.

They decided to keep having a local shop do the work though.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
i cover a lot of geography....

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
car care...mmmmm...

yeah.

not a first thing...but oil change and tire rotation...

simply put, i dont have time to deal with these necessities with fleet trucks on the fly....walmart is everywhere...and easy to log and track. the savings over say a firestone shop or nation is over 100 percent on some of the trucks..service on one of the 2017 full syn trucks with tire rotation at national is 128 and the same at the walmart is 58...and might take a day or two to get in.

for my truck... they likely 8 out of 10 stores would not even service it, so dont feel bad rusty. of course that franken truck i have would be refused for different reasons...
The next walmart would of been 40 minutes east or 40 min west, 40 min south, or 40 min north. Tireman was 2 miles, and was only 3 bucks more then walmart. Plus the kid at tireman (after we bs'ed a bit) had a 90 ranger....with a 2.9 :) and seemed to know his shiz.

My 460 i generally change myself with motorcraft stuff, but i figured why pay 20 bucks to dump cheap oil in my ranger when i can pay 3 more dollars and have someone else dump cheap oil in it.

Ive gotten lazy in my old(er) age, nowadays paying someone 90 bucks to change the plugs and crap in my 2.9 seems worth it to me.

saskbill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Up here we have Canadian Tire which seems to operate from the same hymn book regarding being a training ground for mechanics and the good ones usually jump ship for places that pay decently once they get experience.

I have used them once or twice after buying a vehicle, when they have their 'Oil Change and 50 point inspection for $50' special. Because I know they'll put it on the hoist and call out every possible item they figure they could milk a dollar out of and hand me a laundry list detailing such. That I can then take, ignore the stupid stuff, fix the fixable stuff, and decide if I want to have someone competent look at what may be serious stuff.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I agree on Canadian Tire. My dad took my 2003 Sunfire there after it broke down. They first insisted on replacing the starter, and wouldn't do anything else until I paid $500(or more) for a new starter. I grabbed them a salvage starter, told them to put the old one in the trunk so I could take it in for the core charge. Then they tell me the engine is seized (yes, it sounded horrible). A friend of mine towed it to his shop, and one of his technicians drove it around the block. Then, a few days later, I drove it six blocks from his shop to my house.

My dad told the guy at Canadian Tire to take the belt off, and try turning the engine over by hand, with a socket and ratchet (I think that was what he told them to use). When I picked up the car, it had no serpentine belt (they didn't put it back on, and it was NOT in the trunk!). A year later, that seized engine drove from my house to a different friend's house, probably five miles away.

That engine suffered severe damage from being run out of oil (front seal blew), and so it *did* need to be replaced, but it was not seized.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals