• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Spare Tire Mount Fix/Improvement

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Having my spare tire in my bed has really started to annoy me. I like how easy it is to get at, but I have only needed it once in the last year and some, and always having to move it around or take it out whenever I want to put anything of any size in my bed is a real annoyance. So, I have decided to put it back in its stock position under the bed.

What stopped me from doing this in the past was the fact that the bolt on the tire carrier to lower it was frozen with rust, and not even a breaker bar would make it give in. Annoyance finally outweighing the effort, i broke out the air impact and got it loose. I cleaned all the rust of the threads and ran it in and out until it tightens and loosens by hand relatively easily, and then covered absolutely every mm in anti seize. However, I have run into the problem of how to secure the tire on the carrier.

I see that there is a nut attached to the side of the peg that sticks through the center of the tire, but my truck is missing the bolt that would go into it, and this nut is essentially 100% rust. I figure I've got three options:

1) Clean out the threads in that nut, and find the correct bolt to hold my spare down. I anticipate a lot of difficulty in finding the right bolt, unless someone has one just laying around.

2) Knocking out the nut altogether, and just putting a long stud(with washer on end) through hole in spare, through hole where nut was, with another large washer and nut to hold it in place. The center hole of the spare though is barely catching on the peg from the carrier, so it slides around/comes off with enough of a bump. Will just one bolt be sufficient? Which leads me to

3) Same as two, but with a matching assembly through another hole in tire on opposite side, going through a hole drilled farther up on the carrier. This gives two bolts holding it down, and should stop if from moving around at all.

Whaddya think? :icon_confused:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 33x12.5x15 spare in my bed with a modified bed extender. My spare tire won't fit under the bed like the stock one does. With a spare tire bracket mount you can position your spare tire anywhere in the bed. What size spare tire are you using? I am looking at the photo your Avatar and it does not look like you have really tall tires to me. You can stand it up on one side of the bed or put it upfront. If you have a roof rack and basket like me you can also mount it up on the roof. So many options. I believe a 31x10.5 will mount under the bed in the stock location. I think a buddy did that on his sons Ranger and it worked. I have not tried that yet to see.

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yea I just have the stock 235/75/15's on it. I want it completely out of the bed, that was why I moved back to the stock location to begin with. And no I do not have a roof rack.

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mount it to the bumper with one of those swing-away tire carriers?

getrdone52

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 V8
Transmission
Automatic
I was thinking of doing mine like this.

Ok no picture i guess. I don't get why it's so hard for me to post a stupid picture. Anyways, I was thinking of putting it between the wheel well arc in the bed and the cab. I wouldn't really know how to mount it though.

Last edited:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
This what mine looks like mounted. I can still get stuff in the bed. I have my roof rack and roof basket to haul stuff around in as well. I can still get a dirt bike in the bed but not my 4wheeler.

If I really need extra space I have my little off road trailer I can stash stuff for a weekend of camping and extra gear.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You might check into retrofitting a winch type carrier off of a later truck (98+?) Maybe a Ranger never had it, my F-150 does and I love it.

They bolt to a crossmember (easy to make if you can't adapt one) and just winch the tire up in there.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
One thing, I am not crawling up under a truck to get a spare tire. I really think that is the stupidest thing in the word to have a spare mounted under the bed. The first thing I did when ever I bought a truck was to mount a spare somewhere different. My BII's had spare tire carriers on the back and my Jeeps have them there as well.
My Nissan and Toyota trucks were all mounted in the bed or I had a custom swing away mounted to the bed. I used a few BII spare tire carriers for my older trucks and that was so cool and looked cool and worked great whenever I needed the tail gate down. I could swing the carrier out and way from the tailgate. Whoever originally thought of mounting the spare under the bed was a complete idiot as far as I am concerned!!!! I still want to slap them till the end of time!!!!!

If I really need to I can use my Yakima roof rack and Basket Case. It will hold up to 150 lbs. I can mount the spare tire there. I mounted it up there before when I had my 4wheeler in the bed when I drove out to Moab last year.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And I think it is the stupidest thing in the world to tie up valuable bed space with a spare tire mounted flat. It is always in the way. If you are going to mount it in the bed ditch the flat mount thing and get the bracket to mount it vertically in the front of the bed behind the drivers seat so it doesn't obstruct the view. It doesn't look as "cool" but is far more functional for a truck that is actually used as a truck.

With the winch thing you don't crawl under the truck anyway. You poke the crank through a hole in the bumper and crank it down, pull it out from under the truck and take the steel peice out of the center of the hub. Installation is reverse of removal, there is enough slack in the cable to get it out from under the truck and the winch will pull it back under. You are no closer to crawling under the truck to get the tire than you will be changing it.

I can haul whatever fits in the bed of my truck without even looking at my spare. Four wheelers, deer, dirtbikes, engines w/transmissions, axles w/springs furniture of any discription... if it fits it ships. Compared to how many times I haul something (countless) to how many times I have used my spare aside from rotating tires (once in 11 years with a license) it is a no brainer for me where to put the spare. You can dink around with a roof rack or "offroad trailer" all you want, I will use my bed as it was intended and not a glorified tire carrier.

Last edited:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
What do you really need the bed for?? If you are hauling bikes, I understand, guys!!! But I can haul a bike in the bed with the spare in place and if when I do need the space for my 4wheeler I put in on the roof rack. What is so hard about that?? So you guys with 32+ tires are gonna put your tire where??? In the bed!!!! Not under the truck, it won't fit. I have an offroad trailer that I can take anywhere if I am loaded down for fishing and camping and my 4wheeler. I don't really need the bed all that much all the time I haul some mulch and rock and it fits fine in the bed with the spare, so no big deal. Under the truck is the stupidest place.....

So let's see those spare tires you guys have that are the size of mine or bigger? Where are they?? Where are they mounted....or do you not have one?? Which is really dumb not to have one when you are traveling or off roading, right??

Haaaaa haaaaaaaaa!!!!!! The cat has spoken.....lol

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
And I think it is the stupidest thing in the world to tie up valuable bed space with a spare tire mounted flat. It is always in the way. If you are going to mount it in the bed ditch the flat mount thing and get the bracket to mount it vertically in the front of the bed behind the drivers seat so it doesn't obstruct the view. It doesn't look as "cool" but is far more functional for a truck that is actually used as a truck.

With the winch thing you don't crawl under the truck anyway. You poke the crank through a hole in the bumper and crank it down, pull it out from under the truck and take the steel peice out of the center of the hub. Installation is reverse of removal, there is enough slack in the cable to get it out from under the truck and the winch will pull it back under. You are no closer to crawling under the truck to get the tire than you will be changing it.

I can haul whatever fits in the bed of my truck without even looking at my spare. Four wheelers, deer, dirtbikes, engines w/transmissions, axles w/springs furniture of any discription... if it fits it ships. Compared to how many times I haul something (countless) to how many times I have used my spare aside from rotating tires (once in 11 years with a license) it is a no brainer for me where to put the spare. You can dink around with a roof rack or "offroad trailer" all you want, I will use my bed as it was intended and not a glorified tire carrier.
And while you are cranking that stupid under the bed spare tire down I already have mine out of the bed and ready to mount it. Think about that. You are in a ditch filled with water and the truck is up to your armpits in water........get that spare from under the truck, Bro.

Ahhhhh ahhhhh...lol

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
And while you are cranking that stupid under the bed spare tire down I already have mine out of the bed and ready to mount it. Think about that. You are in a ditch filled with water and the truck is up to your armpits in water........get that spare from under the truck, Bro.

Ahhhhh ahhhhh...lol
Water up to my armpits? The truck is hydrolocked and I am in my Argo that was in the back of my truck and am on my way back to the house to get the tractor and drag the pile back to civilization... screw the tire.

You won't be able the change the tire in those conditions anyway, your jack will sink out of sight before you even get started.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Water up to my armpits? The truck is hydrolocked and I am in my Argo that was in the back of my truck and am on my way back to the house to get the tractor and drag the pile back to civilization... screw the tire.

You won't be able the change the tire in those conditions anyway, your jack will sink out of sight before you even get started.
Haaa haaaaa...lol!!! That's Funny, Bro!!! Well, I already have done it before, Bro. One of my buddies took me out in his 03 F150 with 37's and we had a flat after he ran over part of old railroad spikes that somebody dumped there. He and I heard the right rear make a loud popping noise. We were already in about 2 1/2 feet of water and still going forward. We saw those spike sticking up now that we ran over them. We managed to get over to a more shallow area and we got the old Hi-Lift out and put a piece of plywood one of us usually carries when we go into our wetland areas. Lifted the truck took off the flat and got the spare out of the back of the truck and go it mounted. My buddy said to me 'I love the position of the spare'. And I agreed with him. Yes I know it is not for everybody but that is where my spares go, either on the back of my trucks and Jeeps or in the bed of the truck. Like we always say, Bro. Everybody is different, that's what makes the world go 'round!!!

bduke23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Straycat, I do not doubt that your setup works fine for you. However, as I have stated twice already, I have no interest in putting the tire in my bed. I find it to be in the way, which was in fact the entire reason for this whole thread. I personally find roofracks on a truck to look a little goofy (just my personal taste) and I do not have an offroad trailer, nor a trailer of any sort. Hence, once again needing the available bed space. I do not care how long it takes me to get the tire out, as I do not have any plans for getting flats often. Under the bed will work just fine. And, as I have also already stated, I have stock size tires. Not 32's or 33's or anything bigger, so please focus only on the question I am asking: How does the stock size tire mount under the bed in the factory location.

To the others, I do like the idea of the crank type tire carrier, but I have very limited access to any type of fab equipment, and am unsure whether or not I could make the necesary cross members or tabs. I know that it would be faster and easier, but I am only looking to modify what I already have to the point of it being sturdy.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals