• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Code PO153 O2 Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2, Sensor 1)

Mike Tonon

What is it? I keep hearing like faint creaking/rattling sounds coming from the glove compartment area of the dash. Then today, the check engine light came on. Auto Zone scanned it and gave me that code.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
faint creaking/rattling sounds could be blend door(electric) or a vents vacuum valve moving, but nothing to do with the code

Bank 1 is passenger side of engine
Bank 2 is Drivers side

Sensor 1 is the O2 sensor closest to the engine, so on a V6 or V8 there are TWO sensor 1's, Sensor 1's are also referred to as "Upstream" O2 sensors
Sensor 2 is the O2 sensor behind the Cat Converter, if there is a "Y" pipe and a single exhaust then there is only One sensor 2
If there is a Dual Exhaust the there would be TWO sensor 2's
Sensor 2's are referred to as "Downstream" O2 sensors

Code P0153 O2 Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2, Sensor 1)
This means Drivers side Upstream O2 sensor is sluggish
Could be a wiring problem
When engine is cold remove the plugin for this sensor and make sure connections are clean.
Check the wires for signs of burns, they are near the exhaust pipes :)

Also an exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold on that side can suck in air, making sensor slow to react.

And it could be O2 sensor is just going bad, they are usually good for 150k, Ford recommends changing at 100k

Mike Tonon

Thanks a lot. I should have also mentioned that the creaking coming from the dash happens even when the engine isn't running but the key is in the on position.

Mike Tonon

Ok, I put this $25 cleaner in the gas a couple days ago and now the light is off. The cleaner was supposed to clean the o2 sensors, catalytic converters and some other stuff. Came in a grey bottle at Advance Auto Parts. Good that it worked. I tried taking the front driver side o2 sensor out, but gave up, because it's rusted stuck. Truck seems a little peppier now, too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals