• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1996 4.0 general moto advice and looking for someone with similar trans problem help!

96ranger702

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
1996 Ranger 4.0 4x4 automatic 200k

I've had this truck for less than a year now and am ready to start getting this thing running reliably . Truck is in great condition even with high miles . No major work was done or needed to be , on the motor. Previous owner is very mechanically knowledgeable guy and took great care of it . He did the Chevy leaf spring swap and put F250 could in the front as well as a custom long travel bed cage for shocks . He liked to do some off roading as do I . Minor trails and minor rock crawling was it's main use .

My question is , what are some things I should start replacing in the motor that may be it's time since high mileage and nothing done yet ? As far as rebuilding the motor . Or some things I should plan for in the future .

2ndly is the transmission 4r44e . I know there is a trans thread but I've posted there a while back and got no feedback so I'm trying to kill 2 birds here .

I have the common overdrive flashing problem . Fors issued a TSB on this problem .
I am a mechanic as a profession right now but I'm young so no master . Mainly I just want to here if anyone's had this experience and if they would share .

I may have read everything there is to online but because of current situation just continouing research!

I just spent over 2 grand getting trans rebuilt . The TSB and OD light problem has to do with the valve body. Some have replaced solenoids and been fine . Some do a VB mod by drilling a hole in instructed spot to fix this issue .

I purchased a fully loaded VB from centralVB . it addresses the TSB issues and comes with all solenoids and separator plate and gasket . I had the shop install it as well as go through the trans and rebuild what's needed. Also replaced tourque converter .

Well it's been a week and the light has come back on as well as my check light for faulty solenoids .

The first time i have them VB they said it wasn't running right and something is wrong with it . So CentralVB sent me a 2nd one no questions asked . They are great . But now second one is installed and problem persists !

Before the rebuild , After driving truck for about 30 miles the light would flash and the only symptoms would be it would shift harder in first and second . when light wasn't flashing it would not .

Currently it's shifting great . When light comes on it still shifts great . Can't really notice of shifting hard .

So it's under a year warranty , I'm going to take it back to them , but I'm skeptical about the shop now . Anything I should ask or make sure they do ? I can't afford anything else really . Youd think after $2400 it would be fine now .
Anything helps ! Thank you guys your the best love this site .

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

'96 will have the 4.0l OHV engine(1990-2000), 2001 and up had the 4.0l SOHC, engines are not related

4.0l OHV is very reliable even with high miles, but they have a casting flaw in the heads, weak spots between valve seats, and they will crack if overheated, no do overs or "just one time" forgiveness, they will crack.
So that being known, make sure upper and lower rad hoses are in good condition, if one of these larger hoses splits all coolant will be lost almost instantly.
Heater hoses should also be inspected, but like rad leak or water pump these tend to be slow leaks that you will know about before engine gets too hot.
And pull over if temp gauge starts to climb, no "just trying to make it home", PULL OVER, wait for engine to cool off and then limp home with plenty of stops and cool downs.

1996 4.0l engines had the 4R55E trans, 55E were for 4.0l only, 4cyl and 3.0l got the 44E.
Same trans just 55E had some heavier duty parts.

Flashing OD often has nothing to do with Over Drive, it is used as a warning indicator for a transmission issue.
I assume you have tried to read any codes using OBD2 scanner and none were present?
Codes can tell you if a solenoid is at fault and which one.
Not all ODB2 readers will see transmission codes, most will but not all.

OD Flashing can be caused by the Range sensor, on outside of trans on the shift linkage, it tells computer which "gear" you have selected, if it is "between gears" or vibrating causing lost connection computer would flash OD light.
Also check the wiring plug in for the solenoids, I think its a 12 wire connector drivers side just above pan, could be that's where problem is

When OD light flashes computer often puts transmission into "safe" or "limp" mode, this causes harder shifts.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals