• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Do I need to prime a new oil pump? 2.3

rdsrds123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm installing a new oil pump. Just stick it in and cover it up with the oil pan? Do I need to seal the opening to the timing belt??:popcorn:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I allways put a little bead of permatex where gaskets meet together, any 90 degree angle. Plus I never put silicone anywhere on any engine but thats just a me thing. Allways use new oil pan gaskets to put it together.

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
pump

I always do one of two things either pack the oil pump with vasoline by taking the cover off, or pour oil into the pump inlet and rotate the pump by hand, before installing I use at least a straight 40 weight, then when installed pull the fuse to the fuel pump and turn the engine over till you see some movement on the oil pressure gauge, also if you pulled the oil filter pour oil into it and let it soak in and then fill it again let soak then install when it stays half full after the second fill up

rdsrds123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
we always pull the dist out and run the pump with a drill before firing it up.probably not too bad to spin it over with the starter as long as not a new motor

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You guys are confusing things here. If all you are changing is the oil pump, there is no need for any of this stuff. When you have a newly rebuilt motor, then it is beneficial to run the oil pump with a drill through the distributor hole (if you have a distributor hole) or pack the pump with grease or Vaseline to prime it. None of this is necessary or of any use with just an oil pump change. A newly built motor has a lot of parts that aren't used to each other--piston rings and cylinder walls, cam lobes and followers--and you want those to get struck with oil immediately when the engine fires for the first time. A newly rebuilt motor is tight and hot and takes an hour to wear in and loosen up--I drive the oil pump with a drill, put a hose in the radiator with the drain open and run the motor at 2,000rpm, turning it down as it loosens and speeds up, to keep the oil flowing. Your engine is old and happy and nothing is needed.

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
pump

Has nothing to do with new old or other wise .... some times a pump will not self prime, thats why you pack the pump or put a heavy oil in it first so you seal up the gaps between the cover and the clearance between the gears, so it will pull oil up, if your a super moderater then you need to stick your head up your arse where it belongs, no wonder this website is sucking hind titty, Iam out of here theres much better websites:thefinger::thefinger:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals