• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First gen dome light

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I was installing the correct dome light in my truck and with a simple slip of the fingers the wire fell down the rear of the cab corner and came out on the floor. :mad:

I vividly remember fighting this for days 15 years ago, I don't remember how I finally got it aside from the fight.

It is a standard cab truck with only a steel roof (it is a Custom) and no headliner.

I spent most of tonight fighting it, trying to ramrod it over with a piece of tubing, twine with a nut tied on the end (so it would pull it once it got over the hump) and new wire and no dice. Using the selfie mode with my cellphone and a penlight I can see there is quite a bit of structure up there to try to get through and it looks tight. Anyone have an idea?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Attach it to the roof with a dab of hot glue once you get the wire back up there.

As for getting it back, what about looking in your tackle box? I'm not familiar with the exact routing of the wire since I have never dealt with this issue, but could you drop some fishing line in there with a split shot and then use that to fish the wire back up. It would mean pulling the wire out to where you can work on it to tie the line, but is that even a feasible option?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The problem is I have to get it over 3' (roughly) and then down.

I was thinking along the same lines as you with twine and a nut. I think the seam from the roof meeting the side sticks up on the inside so I have to get over that. And then the seam where the rear outside wall meets the side outside wall sticks in too so if you hug the rear wall you snag that.

I think back when I was a teenager my arms were smaller and I could reach up inside the B pillar some now that I think about it.

Here is what I am dealing with looking up the B pillar. my phone won't fit into the hole for the dome light to see what is going on from that direction. For reference the silver knob at the top I think is the backside of the bolt for the seat belt.

4EyedTurd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Maybe try a fish tape to pull it thru? Then zip tie it off in a few places with the ones you can run screws into.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got it finally, ramroded the connector over with the plastic tubing so it was hanging over the corner. I bapped it around some with my prybar and got a little more wire over the corner. Then I removed the seat belt retracter and halfway picked the truck up cramming my arm up inside the B pillar and pulled it down. :icon_thumby:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Cable installers use what they call a "fish line" which is a stiff cable that you can feed through some incredibly tight areas...they sell those things at hardware stores and I've been meaning to buy one for my business...that is now inactive...lol

But now that you've got it you won't have to worry about it for a while...but if you ever need to push or pull wires through small holes...that's the tool to get...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
But now that you've got it you won't have to worry about it for a while...but if you ever need to push or pull wires through small holes...that's the tool to get...
Cool, thanks for the tip.

As for it falling back down if you have the correct end it is not an issue. The one I pulled at the JY didn't have a normal connector and a few days later I couldn't remember unplugging it or seeing any way for it to get power from the truck. Went to the JY again today and found the correct connector that snaps into the roof. It was out of an XL F-150 so it had a black bezel rather than the usually not perfect chrome one I usually see. Who knows but it is probably more "correct" for my Custom truck.

And I said, let there be light... and there was. :yahoo:

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Good work! :icon_thumby:

This reminds me that I need to fish my wires through on my truck too...unless I can use the existing wiring from the 88...the 96 wiring is laying in the jump seat well and I still need to trace it all...but I'm almost certain they were very similar...except the dome light is a bit different...

I will get at it next month hopefully...but I want to use the door plungers like the first gen used instead of the latch like they used in the later models...

And thanks for the rep!

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I just swapped out my perfect chrome XL dome and put in the three bulb super cab light in my XL truck. I could have given you the light.lol

I liked the base model look, but my replacement headliner already had marks from the larger XLT dome light so I had to upgrade....had to add an oh shit handle too.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I will get at it next month hopefully...but I want to use the door plungers like the first gen used instead of the latch like they used in the later models...
The sockets to plug the switches in are $40 from a parts store, darn near free from a JY. DS has three wires, one is for the buzzer if you have the key in, I would just get two PS ones (with two wires) for a cleaner install if you don't want to deal with the buzzer. I just resurrected my DS connector from a mouse attack...

I got this light/bezel for $10 with a big pile of stuff from the JY. :)

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals