• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How can I tell what engine I have?

Kenneth S

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
By saying "don't sell it short" I really mean "don't under estimate how good it will still run with a little less compression than a non-turbo motor will". I couldn't really notice a difference between the two driving one right after the other.

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I got that out of it. I'm just bad about expressing my excitement on having a
'real" engine in my VW!

John Smith

Reaction score
another option

Yeah, I got that out of it. I'm just bad about expressing my excitement on having a
'real" engine in my VW!
..... for someone with a turbo block and pistons...I've often wondered what it would be like to adapt a side-draft Carb from a turbo'ed Corvair onto the intake of the intake side of a Garret t3. You would have a unique combo for sure...a "draw-thru" 5-7 lbs of boost....just enuf ...

or..better yet, mount the Carter YH side-draft directly to the intake crossover.(an easy natural bolt on)..and use the turbo to "blow-thru"..(or not..).. (and use the former fuel injection nozzles for...nitrous, water etc)..or not

I know, I know...hope your project goes well....

Last edited:

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd better keep it simple, John.
I've been the dual carburetor route before and it was ok but I didn't like having to fiddle with it every time the seasons changed. I don't know anything about turbos!
I got my new .030 pistons in today. It wasn't even 24 hours and they beat me to work!
Machine shop said probably Tuesday the block will be ready.

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
What does the engine sticker on the radiator support say. I have a 84 and many told me it was a 2.0, but the sticker says 2.3.

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
What does the engine sticker on the radiator support say. I have a 84 and many told me it was a 2.0, but the sticker says 2.3.
Radiator support? :dunno:
I have a VW :headbang: No radiator.
Bought the engine from some yahoo off Craigslist.

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Radiator support? :dunno:
I have a VW :headbang: No radiator.
Bought the engine from some yahoo off Craigslist.
:icon_rofl: That is probably not the last time you will have to explain that.

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
..... for someone with a turbo block and pistons...I've often wondered what it would be like to adapt a side-draft Carb from a turbo'ed Corvair onto the intake of the intake side of a Garret t3. You would have a unique combo for sure...a "draw-thru" 5-7 lbs of boost....just enuf ...

or..better yet, mount the Carter YH side-draft directly to the intake crossover.(an easy natural bolt on)..and use the turbo to "blow-thru"..(or not..).. (and use the former fuel injection nozzles for...nitrous, water etc)..or not

I know, I know...hope your project goes well....
I did a little reading about Corvairs after you posted this. The draw thru carburetor/ turbo setup has always appealed to me, but I never realized that Chevy did it. I'll have to read into it some more.

4b316

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Really ought to sell that turbo motor and start another one.You should be able to get a buck for the block and pistons and such are already assembled.I agree,probably ought not to distrub the seating and such.but if you can't wait,you can't wait

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Really ought to sell that turbo motor and start another one.You should be able to get a buck for the block and pistons and such are already assembled.I agree,probably ought not to distrub the seating and such.but if you can't wait,you can't wait
Too late for that. The block needed boring to .030 anyway. It should be ready Tuesday.
The pistons are for sale.

John Smith

Reaction score
about the side-draft

I did a little reading about Corvairs after you posted this. The draw thru carburetor/ turbo setup has always appealed to me, but I never realized that Chevy did it. I'll have to read into it some more.
I guess The Early Corvette six may have used a YH side-draft?...I haven't thought much about all that for years. I guess oneof the most read-about turbo'ed Corvairs is actually running a "blow-thru" setup quite successfully. (dual carbs)..since all Corvairs were points ignition, there is actually quite a bit of electronic upgrades they implement to help with detonation, and timing etc..they have always had a loyal following of "true believers" about the Corvair motor..

I STILL like the way they sound...and a very easy rebuildable motor....and the neat thing...NO WATER ISSUES>>>>EVER

(someone otta hang a late Corvair transaxle neath the back of a B2//and slam it...there's plenty of room...) and a ready 150-200 HP NATURALLY ASPIRATED...

Last edited:

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Funny this thread took a sharp right turn to Corvairs. I actually had a Crown Corvair adapter for this conversion I'm doing. My friends talked me out of it and here I am in 2.3Land!
I dunno, something about IF you break down in a little Arkansas town, chances of finding a part for the Ford being WAY better than the Corvair;missingteeth;

Jfive

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
My bad, didn't read the beginning. Casting numbers are the best then. They won't be the same like some engines. The head numbers are on turboford, I believe. Bo port did a list on there somewhere. Sorry but not a member, just remember reading it in a link.

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
No problem jfive ;)

We's just having a little fun!

itlives

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
So, I started putting my engine together today. I didn't get far. You can see in the picture the bearing doesn't match the cap. I'll have to bring them down to the machine shop Monday.
EDIT- the pic isn't very good but the cap has a notch on the side and the bearing tab for the notch is in the middle.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals