• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Remote Oil Filter Adapter won't stop Leaking...

Jy81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well after getting past countless obstacles to complete my Rangers 5.0 Swap, the Advance Adapters Remote Oil Filter Adapter (the part that threads onto the block) won't stop leaking, and has pretty much killed my build. I've tried everything with no success.

The o ring seal that came with it didn't even fit inside the groove (too big) and pinched/leaked like hell every single time. After that I tried ultra black rtv alone, allowing it to dry and then squashing it down to create a gasket. This worked for about 15 miles and then it started leaking again, enough to make it undriveable again. Each time to remove the Adapter piece and redo the seal I've been pulling the motor.

I recently learned that I can just remove the motor accessories/steering box and have the clearance to remove it, which has helped, but this is really getting old and killing my morale. To the point that I wanna delete the power steering just so I can screw a damn oil filter onto the motor...This has all but killed my build, and Idk what else to do. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Well after getting past countless obstacles to complete my Rangers 5.0 Swap, the Advance Adapters Remote Oil Filter Adapter (the part that threads onto the block) won't stop leaking, and has pretty much killed my build. I've tried everything with no success.

The o ring seal that came with it didn't even fit inside the groove (too big) and pinched/leaked like hell every single time. After that I tried ultra black rtv alone, allowing it to dry and then squashing it down to create a gasket. This worked for about 15 miles and then it started leaking again, enough to make it undriveable again. Each time to remove the Adapter piece and redo the seal I've been pulling the motor.

I recently learned that I can just remove the motor accessories/steering box and have the clearance to remove it, which has helped, but this is really getting old and killing my morale. To the point that I wanna delete the power steering just so I can screw a damn oil filter onto the motor...This has all but killed my build, and Idk what else to do. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
I had the same problem although not as bad as yours sounds. Mine just made a mess over time but didn't impact drivability. I switched it out for the Canton piece. It was a little more expensive but did solve the issue. The Canton piece also allows for the lines to be placed where desired and then torqued to spec. I found mine on eBay. Just be careful about part numbers, they make several for other applications such as GM and Chrysler.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Those adapters are cheap, if you can't get an oring sized to fit it just get a new adapter.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Those adapters are cheap, if you can't get an oring sized to fit it just get a new adapter.
Everyone I know seems to have problems with that particular adapter. The seal/o ring is always a little large but can be squeezed into place. Even then it never seals completely. Eventually it will start dripping. I still use the opposite adapter for the oil filter and have not had an issue with that one.

Jy81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I had the same problem although not as bad as yours sounds. Mine just made a mess over time but didn't impact drivability. I switched it out for the Canton piece. It was a little more expensive but did solve the issue. The Canton piece also allows for the lines to be placed where desired and then torqued to spec. I found mine on eBay. Just be careful about part numbers, they make several for other applications such as GM and Chrysler.
Is this the one? http://www.ebay.com/itm/111619978485?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Jy81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I could tell it was cheaply made. I guess I expected a little more for $100, but looking at their ranger 5.0 Swap headers I guess I should have expected this level of quality. Live and learn.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I could tell it was cheaply made. I guess I expected a little more for $100, but looking at their ranger 5.0 Swap headers I guess I should have expected this level of quality. Live and learn.
Yep, that is what it looks like. I didn't verify the part number but I am pretty sure it is the exact same one. That is about the same price I paid as well. It is a little bit of money but it makes the problem go away. Not a bit of issue with mine any more.

Seems like you can but an addition seal for about $6.00. I think I got one just in case I needed it down the road.

Jy81

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I'm gonna give it a try. The Advance Adapter piece seems pretty hopeless to keep going with. At least the oil filter side doesn't leak.

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Thanks, I'm gonna give it a try. The Advance Adapter piece seems pretty hopeless to keep going with. At least the oil filter side doesn't leak.
Yes, it really is pretty hopeless. Mine fit correctly. I did manage to get the seal seated properly even though it was a tad to big. But it still dripped and was a constant issue.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ouch.

I pieced my kit together, I used the Permacool block adapter. I had to get it pretty tight (threaded a piece of pipe in it and used it like a wrench) but it does not leak at all.

I have used two different oil filter bases for different configurations (changed the hose routing when I put the Explorer FEAD on) and both have had an ooze that just kept the brim of the oil filter moist. Dunno what the deal is with that but it is pretty minor.

I think it was this one I used:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/prm-2791/overview/

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals