• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Motorcraft 5W-20

hihoslvr

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
F.O.R.D.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just searched throught the threads for info on oil and didn't find much. I use the recommended MC partial synthetic, I'm at about 43,000 miles, and usually change it between 5,000 and 7,500. Just want to know anybodies thoughts on the subject. thanks

michowski

Reaction score
5w-30 is what you need. That is the correct weight oil for the 3.0. Stick with the motorcraft and run that weight. Otherwise sounds like your doing everything great.

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
Ford Changed it to 5w 20 for the later model 3.0's, My '02 calls for 5w 20 and he's got an '04.

I use Valvoline or Castrol with a motorcraft filter and normaly change mine between 4000, and 5000. I know ford says you can go longer but I dont like to, by 5000 mine gets pretty dark.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
5-20 is the proper grade for his engine. 5-30 is right for your motor, michowski.

stay away from fram filters. motorcraft or wix/napa is all i'll run.

hihoslvr

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
F.O.R.D.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
alright, thanks. I like to use the MC filters too, but last time I went to Wal-Mart, they didn't have 'em, probably ought to check with the dealer, and compare prices... :icon_idea:

pillen140

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you should see newer toyotas, they are running 0w20, its like water. i dont think i could even put that in even if they recommended!!!

hihoslvr

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
F.O.R.D.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah, ya know what else is funny: I bought my truck CPO (certified pre-owned) with 3,000 miles on it, and the dealer apparently had taken it to Jiffy Lube (had the sticker on the windsheild), they put 10W-30 in it!

bikerboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
they put 10W-30 in it!
i run mine with 10w-30 in it. havent had any problems with it. the only reason i do is because where i work we get 10w30 in bulk and its super cheap. also most fords are supposed to run 5w-20 in them. ford put out a TSB saying to change almost all fords into 5w-20 instead of what was originally suggested.

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
you should see newer toyotas, they are running 0w20, its like water. i dont think i could even put that in even if they recommended!!!
Why? It's still 20w at operating temp, same as Motorcraft. shady

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
Why? shady
because they are cheap. the filter media has a small surface area, the filters openings are small, the glue that holds the media to the can desolves and the media breaks free, the drainback valves rarely seal, the metal they use for the can is cheasy and flimsy, the threads are buggered up right out of the box...they are just terrible filters.

they do have that nice grippy stuff on the end of the filter...i wish wix would do that to theirs!

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
because they are cheap.
They are the same price as Motorcraft at my Chinamart.
the filter media has a small surface area
How much should it have? What is the criteria?
the filters openings are small
How large should they be? Criteria?
the glue that holds the media to the can desolves and the media breaks free
Do you have verifiable evidence of this on a large scale as to cause massive problems.
the drainback valves rarely seal
Again, evidence?
the metal they use for the can is cheasy and flimsy, the threads are buggered up right out of the box
I have used these filters for many years and have yet to find bad threads. From my experience, the can is a good as any other. Other filters bend just as easily when using a filter wrench to remove them, so I haven't noticed that much difference.

I'll ask you the same question I have asked others, and as yet have not received an answer. Can you prove to me with verifiable data the statements you have made that have had a major effect on automobile engines.

The last time I checked, Fram outsold the closest competitor (Purolator), and all other filters combined by a 2 to 1 margin. With that much production, and with the problems you say they have, it should be very easy to verify your statements.

A novice cannot cut open a filter, look at it, and make any sound opinion on how it performs. That is what happens in most of the so called "studies." It's all assumption.

I am also aware that some 20 years ago Fram had a bad run of motorcycle filters. I think that is where this myth got started. shady

Black'03LevelII

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
+1 on Shady's questions.

I have been using Frams tuff guards for many years with absolutely no problems. and they flippin "motorcraft" one that was on my truck when I bought it split a seam about two weeks after I got it. suppsoedly the oil was changed a week before I got it and yes the filter looked brand new. Tossed that P.O.S. and put me a Fram TG filter on.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
im not basing my claims off of what ive "heard" or off of what happened 2 decades ago. im basing my claims on what a guy who sees a lot of oil filters in a day (and has for 6 years now) has noticed over the years.

They are the same price as Motorcraft at my Chinamart.
when i said cheap, i wasnt referring to price...i was referring to quality. just like if i said "cheesy" it wouldnt mean the filters were indeed made of delicious sharp cheddar.

How much should it have? What is the criteria?
there is no "criteria" for filter openings and media surface...but anyone who isnt just looking to argue knows more is better (more media means the filter will not plug as quickly, thus reducing flow, bypassing, or allowing crud through the media).

Do you have verifiable evidence of this on a large scale as to cause massive problems.
when you spin a filter off of a vehicle and shake it and the media rattles around inside the filter, thats a bad thing...and ive ONLY seen this on fram filters...a dozen times over the coarse of several years. sure its acceptable in any mass produced item to have a few "bad apples" (again, i dont mean actual apples)...but it happens more often on frams than other brands.

Again, evidence?
you can visually see that the drainback valve is not sealed on many used fram filters. the valve is distorted...even on some right out of the box.

Other filters bend just as easily when using a filter wrench to remove them
ive bent fram filter cans by hand while installing them. ever give a fram a little squeeze? feel the metal bend and warp under your fingers?

im not spouting half baked claims to the public shadey. im speaking from experience. so youve had good luck with fram filters, im glad for you. i havnt. personally if i hear negative things about an item, i try to steer clear of it...especially when there are higher quality options for nearly the same price.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
i have been using fram filters since my first car in 1972.i have had 0 failures.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals