• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

V8 explorer tuner?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I have a 2000 Explorer with 5.0L that will be a project in hopefully the near future, I keep getting nagged to do cool stuff to it :)

Anyway, I'm intimately familiar with engine tuning on the OEM side in the Marine and Industrial world but only on the GM side of things... For a guy that knows what he's doing what's a good way to get into the ECM of this beast? My future plans probably include a 347 conversion since this thing has some miles on it... I've had it for almost a year but have barely touched it...

I've tried searching but keep seeing things abut generic tunes that look to be mostly shift point changes and whatnot, I want to do the number changes myself...

Probably not going to be an issue for a while, next step is to rebuild the transmission, then install the 4406 transfer case I'm working on getting, then suspension build! I'm just in the research stage on the engine side of things...

Thanks!

ford_ranger12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking into buying a, Moates Quarterhorse. Prolly a better option for you than SCT if you're wanting to change stuff yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Krngr

Parts Hoarder
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 Supercab
Make / Model
Stepside
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L GT40
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The SCT x4 works great on tuning expo motors, can adjust the speedo tire/gear readings, fix the hesitation and cels for a manual swap, and bypass PATS if needed.

True there isn't much the user can adjust, but a sct certified tuner can adjust everything on the ecu. So if you are going to use a local dyno tuner that is SCT certified it's a great option the X4 retail is only $399.

If you want to street tune it yourself and have access to all the other options then yeah SCT is not the best choice.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals