• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Daily Driver Ranger Build

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well i guess its about time i started one of these.:headbang:

After long talks and much negotiations i ended up trading a buddy of mine out of his ranger and got my pride and joy!! Now of course its not much but i love it and of course thats all that matters. Its a 1990 Ranger with a 2.9l v6 and a 5 speed and of course i cant keep it stock :headbang:

Now for the plans for the Ranger

Full size HP Dana 44 in the front and a 9" in the rear
63" Chevy leafs
3" body lift
4" suspension lift
5.0 HO v8
33-12.50 x 16 BFG Mud Terrain
New Paint
All Equuis gauges
Manual T-case

Now those are all my plans for now being a broke college kid saving for a wedding gets into the pocket but i cant take it any more i got to start working on my truck!

now for some pictures of when i got the truck to the present time and i will get some pics of my axles in the next couple of days cause im gonna start with the 9" here this week:icon_thumby:

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Now the street tires and the visor had to go ( the visor was leaking that is the only down fall to those ) so the cap went and the holes welded up and slicked back down

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

And got the beast some new shoes and the look without the visor

[/IMG]

and i had to throw in my dirt pile pic lol

[/IMG]

and the only recent updates are the euro headlights and 6000K HID's

[/IMG]

Like i said i will get some pics of the axles as soon as i can

Lucas

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So as i promised i got some pics of my progress tonight on stripping down the 9" for its massive cleaning and boy did i find some crap tonight!!

i didnt get much done but i got the drums knocked off and all the brake system off and tomorrow after i get out of class i got to go get some tools replaced and go pic up some new brake hardware and drums along with new gear oil and some paint and primer so that she be lookin good when it gets put in the truck. I also ordered some new spring perches from ruff stuff today and those should be here by the end of the week and im hopin to have the 9" done and ready by the end of the week

now for the pics
here it is before i started
[/IMG]

and after one drum was knocked off
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

and the other side after MUCH persuasion
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

And how about a couple of random pics

[/IMG]
I used to think lots of lights were cool but i quickly changed my mind lol

and here is my most recent interior work

[/IMG]

thats all for tonight

Lucas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ok so i just got back from class and town (been at the parts store and got some goodies ) i got pics so i will get you guys updated tonight when i get home. im changin out of my school clothes and headed to my cousins garage to get hot and heavy on this thing im tryin to have everything took apart tonight:headbang:

Lucas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
well i got the axle the rest of the way apart and i got the housing all cleaned up:headbang:

i also got some of the brake parts today so i can start going back together as soon as i move the perches which should be here this week.

tomorrow i am gonna try to do some interior work by getting the rest of my speakers in i still got to get two 6x9's and two 6.5's and i will have my stereo set.

this weekend i am going to knoxville to pick up another 44 with all the radius brackets and coils and coil buckets so my front set up will be ready to start as soon as the rear is done

now for some pics of the progress

[/IMG]

i also go this bedliner kit which i am going to spray on the sides of the truck under the bottom body line here in a few days

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]
so while i was at the car wash i decided i would wash the ranger too and boy she sure needed it
[/IMG]

thats all i got for today

Lucas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well guys i decided to go a different route with my truck....

I just cant swing the full width swap right now and with the rear end about to go out in the ranger i decided to drive to nashville today and get a 31 spline 8.8 L/S rear end out of an exploder.:D

now it doesn't stop there :D

I also talked to my old man last night and i bought my moms old 92 exploder from my parents for a mear 400 bucks :yahoo:

so my plan is to turn the exploder into a dedicated trail rig and keep my ranger as a daily driver so now im gonna start working on the 8.8 to go in the ranger and rebuilding the dana 35 in front

so as soon as i get out of school and get a real job i will start the build on the exploder :yahoo::headbang::yahoo:

so i got some pics of what all i got at the bone yard today and of the new addition to my rbv fleet

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

Lucas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I know its been a few days since i posted in here but i do have some progress for ya with pics to come in the next few days.

I got the 8.8 in the ranger and all buttoned up Thursday night so now im riding good in the rear so now when i get some more money ahead i am going to start getting the parts to fix the front end along with some new manual lock outs since the auto's are trashed.

once i get that done it will be a 4.0 refresh and rebuild and swap since the old 2.9 is getting weak once all the actual drive train is in good shape i will be ready to start cosmetics once again which will include:

4" suspension lift
3" body lift
wheels and tires
paint job
full length exploder console
exploder over head console
billet grill
and a brush guard

but it will take a while cause i can only work as money is available and that seems to be never lol but it will get done someday

Lucas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
well its been a while but i thought i would update you guys on my progress i got the 8.8 in the ranger and also went digging at my local pick and pull and got some goodies.

I have had some wire gremlens invade my cab harness and that happened about 6 months ago when somebody broke into my truck one night but that's neither here nor there and if i ever catch the scum at it again there will be quite a mess to clean up but anyway i got a cab harness and a Borg Warner 1350 T-case along with some interior parts so i got plenty of goods for the afternoon to keep me busy i will get some pics here in a little bit

And by the way if any of you guys need anything my local pick and pull has a TON of b2's and rangers and explorers so just shoot me a pm and i will try to help some of you guys out next time i go in there

Lucas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So i do have a question that i hope someone can answer im sure it has already been asked before but i will ask anyway. when i swapped in the 1350 T-case i noticed that the front shaft is shorter than the factory front shaft that came in my ranger. so i did get the front shaft from the ranger i pulled the t-case from since the 1350 has a slip joint instead of the u-joint straps my electric t-case had but with the 1350 bolted in my truck when i try to put the front drive shaft in it is still just about a 1/16th of an inch to long any suggestions

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
well its been a while since i posted in here and i figured i should drop in and give some of an update.

I finally got all the dash wiring all buttoned up and everything works without any problems:yahoo::D:D

i have also been looking at some fender trimming techniques and how some guys have cut their fenders only reason i plan on cutting them is so i can get rid of the rust i have in the wheel arches in the bed.

that is all that has been going on lately as soon as i get the tractor thats in my shop out of my way i plan on rolling my ranger in their and cutting the fenders and doing some body work and putting the spray on bedliner i have on the sides of the truck along the bottom body line to act kind of as a rock guard

i will get some pictures of what the bedliner going on and the fender trimming

Lucas

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
subscribed. I don't think I've ran across your build yet. The lil red ranger looks great. keep it up. post more PICS! we feed on PICS!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
subscribed. I don't think I've ran across your build yet. The lil red ranger looks great. keep it up. post more PICS! we feed on PICS!
I think i can handle that im bad about not keeping up with the camera while im in the middle of working so i just have finished products but i have some pics im gonna post here in a day or two

Lucas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ok men it has been like a month I guess since I posted here

I have snicked something under yall's nose ........ a little more on that later

As some of you have seen im gathering my final information about my fender trimming ( I'm ready to quit talking and start doing now ) I have also started building a custom center console that will house my 10" sub in the rear and I will get some pictures of that when the sun rises

Now to reveal what i have been sneaky about :D:D:D

I have built myself a custom rear bumper :icon_welder: :D:D:D

I will post those pics later too cause my photobucket is being gay at the moment but I will get those up asap

So now you know that progress is being made

Lucas

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Big changes

So I haven't gotten to get on TRS in a while... :bawling::bawling:

But finally today i have had time to sit down and tell everyone of my progress.

After moving my Fiancee out of her apartment and me moving from my apartment into a Duplex with a Garage :icon_thumby: (of course now i have a place to work on the ranger) I just really haven't had time for the old girl.

But on to the truck, since the last time i updated this thread i have crudely put the truck in primer as well as rebuilt the driveshafts (because I had the back shaft spin out while I was driving home from work) but that is about all that i have gotten done on the little guy (money is tight with all my moving expenses)

But since I know that everyone on here feeds on pics I have a few for you guys

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

And in this last pic you can see the custom rear bumper I built that I told yall about

Lucas

Last edited:

racer1044

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Looking good. I like the rear bumper. What color do you plan to paint it? And are those ebay headlights? How are they holding up?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals