• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Seat Belt Buckle Replacement

jaxranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I need to replace the seat belt buckles on my 2002 ranger. It is an extended cab with 4 doors. I have the new belt buckles but the instructions talk about the air bags and disarming them and such. Has anyone done this? Is it something worth tackling? I know I need to remove the seats but the air bag stuff makes me a little nervous but I really do not want to pay the dealer to do it. Any help is appreciated.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
well i don't know about these particular systems, but if its the kind of seatbelt with an explosive charge inside (to suck you in tight) then you might set it off and basically make them junk. otherwise i would not see any reason to worry about the airbag.

but if they say to disarm the air bag, it might apply. and usually the easiest way to disarm airbags is to unplug the NEGATIVE battery cable, step on the brake, then wait 15 minutes.

GeorgiaBoy 87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
ive taken my driver seat out several times. Just disconnect both terminals on the battery and wait 10 to 15 minutes for the aux power to drain. I have to change the buckles from my old seats (bent rails) to my some what new junkyard seats. The truck they came out of, the airbags were deployed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals