• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for a Drivers Side Tan Seat Belt Buckle

Hank1979

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I just acquired a new to us 97 Ranger for my son, who just turned 15. I want to make sure he is safe, and the seat belt buckle on the drivers side does not latch well. I called a few salvage yards around our area and came up short. Anybody have a connection for what I am looking for in the title of this thread?

Thanks
Hank

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Howdy Hank...Welcome to TRS~!

Try the link below for LMC truck catalogue...they usually have these things in stock...and if the junk yards are scrapping anything older than 98 they will get scarce really quick...

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/fr/full.aspx?Page=57

Hank1979

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Never even occurred to me to check out LMC, being involved with drag racing and hot rods, I have used them before on 68-87 Chevy Pick-ups. Had no clue they even offered stuff for Rangers. Thanks for the link Mark_88.

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hank,

Give this a try first. Remove the buckle from the truck. When you have it out just simply blow some compressed air through it and give it a good soaking in some degreaser over night. Hose it off or better yet power wash it clean. My brother had the same issue with his Focus and there was spilled soda gumming up the works and a tiny piece of plastic from somewhere in the latch.

The_Epsicle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Pushrod V6
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
All hail the mighty ziptie!
Hank,

Give this a try first. Remove the buckle from the truck. When you have it out just simply blow some compressed air through it and give it a good soaking in some degreaser over night. Hose it off or better yet power wash it clean. My brother had the same issue with his Focus and there was spilled soda gumming up the works and a tiny piece of plastic from somewhere in the latch.
+1 on this.

I just did exactly what Mazda described to every single seatbelt in my parent's extended length E-350 that they used to haul us kids around in years ago. I told them when I started the project that they would have to buy all new replacement seat belts which gets pretty expensive when you look at 15 new seatbelts, I did this procedure and only had to replace two belts and for different reasons.

Hank1979

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I had thought about taking it out tomorrow while at work and giving it a good looking over before I bought anything, was just trying to find one incase it ended up being too far gone. It will latch, though it takes some wiggling to get it to latch, but it seems as if it will unlatch without pressing the button some times. I'll pull it out tomorrow and see if a good cleaning will get it back to functioning like it should. Thanks for the tips.

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had thought about taking it out tomorrow while at work and giving it a good looking over before I bought anything, was just trying to find one incase it ended up being too far gone. It will latch, though it takes some wiggling to get it to latch, but it seems as if it will unlatch without pressing the button some times. I'll pull it out tomorrow and see if a good cleaning will get it back to functioning like it should. Thanks for the tips.
Hank one thing I forgot to mention. When you soak it in cleaner ONLY SOAK THE LATCH. Depending on the cleaner/degreaser you use it might have a affect on the belt weaving and discolor it or worse make it weak and it won't do it job in a accident and I don't want that to happen.!!!!

XLTsplash

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Your 1997 has the good TRW metal seat belt buckles. Ford used them from 1974 to 1997, GM also used the same buckles with the GM logo on the push button. They are very easy to find parts for. The only thing I've ever seen break in them is the spring tab, even that is rare. Take a small flat blade screw driver and pry the both back edges of the top cover from the base. There are only three parts inside, the button cover, spring tab and lock plate. If your spring tab is good clean everything up and snap it back together. If the spring tab is broken, find a replacement at wrecking yard The driver side is different that the other seat belts because of the seat belt warning switch.

SPSully

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Let me make sure mine will swap over from one seat to the next, and you can have my tan buckle for the cost of shipping.

Sent from my SM-N900R4 using Tapatalk

SPSully

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
uploadfromtaptalk1443131875486.jpg

I'll stick em both in a flat rate box for ya, just cover the shipping. There is no connector for the seat belt chime just so you know.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals