• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cam sync. scaring me

funkingonutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
alright if heard enough scary things about this poorly manufactered piece and the catastrophic damage it can do if it fails..
first thing: hook up a legit oil pressure gauge (i just need some help on where to run the line)
and how much is cam syncro and how hard is it to replace??
help is apprecaited greatly.

skinner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
alright if heard enough scary things about this poorly manufactered piece and the catastrophic damage it can do if it fails..
first thing: hook up a legit oil pressure gauge (i just need some help on where to run the line)
and how much is cam syncro and how hard is it to replace??
help is apprecaited greatly.
I used to much share the same opinion as you. But finally, at last, even at my young age, accepted computers and technology to take the time to fix and maintain things I didn't have time for anymore. I say fix whats wrong and let the cpu do the rest. If you REALLY want a REAL oil pressure guage, it basically threads into where the oil pressure switch goes(the one that controls your guage) and, through a length of plastic tube, hooks to your aftermarket guage. But, having done a million things like this, I like to let the truck run things these days.
The cam synchro as its called it seems is a "fit in" for where the old dizzy would have been. Apparently it runs your oil pump as the dizzys always did. If its bad, or causing problems...fix the problem. don't get a guage to tell you where the problem is. It may be ruined by then.

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
while i agree that a mechanical oil pressure gauge is a good investment, it isnt going to do any more to prevent catastrophic engine damage than the factory gauge. in this case, its not a question of gauge accuracy, its a question of catching the low oil pressure situation before its too late...which isnt long when driving at highway speeds. if your that terrified, a big red light or a buzzer to indicate low oil pressure would be more effective.

a cam syncro failure is somewhat of a snowball effect. the bushing that supports the syncro shaft doesnt receive sufficient lube, which causes it to dry out and wear. as the bushing wears, it allows the syncro shaft to "wobble". once this wobble gets bad enough, it makes it possible for the flag on the end of the syncro shaft to contact the cam sensor...this stops the shaft suddenly which causes the roll pin holding the distributor gear to the shaft to shear off, thus the syncro shaft (and hence the oil pump) stops turning. if you were really adamant about it, you could pull the sensor off every once in a while and spray some sort of lube down the syncro shaft.

as for the oil pressure gauge: theres only one pressure port on this block, its behind the passenger side head. if you want to keep your factory gauge working, you need to purchase a "T" fitting. you simply unscrew the stock sender, screw in the T, and install the mechanical gauge sender in one side and the stock sender in the other. heres a few pics of mine:

funkingonutz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slow
Transmission
Manual
ok thanks, but im confused, i thought installing an aftermarket oil pressure gauge would be good because the stock "idiot gauge" is'nt quick enough to tell you when you are f#cked. So i was told, on here actually, to invest in one instead of relying on the stock "oh sweet i have oil pressure...sh%t now i dont"

as for the cam sync anyone replaced one? how much we talking here? i bet my left nut this is a "ford stealership only part"

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the stock oil pressure guage is nothing more than an idiot light. over 8 PSI, it pops up into the "normal" range. below 8 PSI, it pegs at the low side. when a cam syncro fails and the oil pump stops spinning, you instantly have 0 PSI and the stock guage will indicate this. the problem is that most people dont pay that close of attention to their gauges while they are barreling down the freeway...and it only takes a few seconds at freeway speed with no oil pressure to really mess up your engine.

the oil LEVEL sender is in the oil pan. the oil pressure sender is in the block behind the passenger side head.

ive never priced out the syncro shaft, but it is a dealer or junkyard only part. its not too difficult to replace, but you are supposed to have a special tool for setting the timing with it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals