• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 ranger 2.3 won't start

reef93

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Need a good place to start. Got an 89 2.3 auto Ranger about 8 months ago did some maintenance on it new Ford crank sensor, timing belt and water pump. Truck has driven perfect for the last 8 months. Went to crank it to go to work yesterday morning and truck fired up for s second and immediately shut off. I went to crank it back and it just spins and honestly sounds like it has zero compression. I pulled timing cover plug and belt is tight so the belt isn't broken. Just looking for some ideas on where to begin.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
The belt may be tight, but out of time. When a belt fails, it can loose some teeth, and slip timing, while remaining taut.
Rotate the crankshaft to TDC on the timing marks, or put the crankshaft keyway at 12:00(harder to see), and check that the cam sprocket triangle mark on its edge lines up with the pointer. Some have an attached pointer, some have a 'line' in the casting on the front side of the cylinder heat. If the mark is not aligned, give the crankshaft another rotation and check again. If still not aligned, belt time.
tom

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do 50/50 test

Spray gasoline or Quick start(ether) into the engine and crank it
If it starts then dies you have a fuel delivery issue
If it doesn't start then no spark or low/no compression
50/50

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Stare at it very sternly.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I thought I answered this with a comment that the belt can loose some teeth, slip a bit, and still be taut.
To know, cam timing has to be checked, the crankshaft at TDC, and the plastic/rubber plug in the belt cover behind the upper radiator hose removed. Check the triangle on the cam cog line up with the pointer, or the mark on the cylinder head(line). If not, rotate crank 360, and compare again. If still no lineup, teeth are missing, go see a dentist, or better yet, go buy a new timing belt and install it. Cheap repair except for labor & time.
tom

reef93

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I thought I answered this with a comment that the belt can loose some teeth, slip a bit, and still be taut.
To know, cam timing has to be checked, the crankshaft at TDC, and the plastic/rubber plug in the belt cover behind the upper radiator hose removed. Check the triangle on the cam cog line up with the pointer, or the mark on the cylinder head(line). If not, rotate crank 360, and compare again. If still no lineup, teeth are missing, go see a dentist, or better yet, go buy a new timing belt and install it. Cheap repair except for labor & time.
tom
Yeah that's where I am going to check as soon as I get back from beach. It messed up day before I left so kinda hard to work on when I'm 3hrs away. Was just trying to get some ideas before I jumped in. Thanks for the replies :icon_thumby:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
If that would work it would've already been fixed :icon_rofl:
Huh. That usually works for me. Half the time all I really have to do is walk into the room and they stop acting up. Makes it incredibly hard to find the problem.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Obviously, The Force is with you, master.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

reef93

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well got home and checked timing marks and timing is off. No teeth missing on the belt and tension seems to be fine. What could cause it to jump?

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Maybe the tension isn't 'fine'. The spring holds an idler against the back(outer) side of the timing belt. If it was not allowed to 'spring back' when the belt was installed, or was slightly tilted, and binding, when the bolts were loosened to allow the spring to move the idler, then tension could be lower than expected. I suppose a spring could get weaker, and cause the same, but I have never heard of it happening.
I would get the crankshaft at TDC, remove the cover, and release the tension on the belt, and tighten the tensioner 'back' so I could adjust the belt. Set the timing, cam triangle at pointer, crank at TDC, and distributor such that the rotor is pointing at #1, or in the range of motion, hopefully right near spark time.(gizzards of dist about to fire the coil, actually just did, about 10degrees earlier).
With all aligned, loosen the tensioner bolts and allow the spring to move the idler. Tighten the bolts. Rotate the crankshaft two turns(allow cam to do 360) and check timing again. Fiddle as needed to insure timing is correct. Keep all slack on the cam->crankshaft span of the belt, other spans 'hand tight' before releasing tensioner bolts.
tom

reef93

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It definitely slipped. Didn't have the tensioner tight enough. Aligned my marks and reinstalled and is running like a top again. Thanks for the help guys!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
215/75/14
Ive bought a 91 ranger 2.3 and did a head gasket and got it to start but came to start it today and it just turns and make a pooping sound and theres white smoke coming from throttle body? Timing issue as well? Even though it started 2 days ago and ran fine?

reef93

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ive bought a 91 ranger 2.3 and did a head gasket and got it to start but came to start it today and it just turns and make a pooping sound and theres white smoke coming from throttle body? Timing issue as well? Even though it started 2 days ago and ran fine?
Yep same thing mine did.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals