• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Stuck on heat, cold only when A/C max, stuff coming out from passenger side

captainhero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi
My newly acquired 2007 ranger is stuck on heat all the time. Keeps blowing hot air regardless of the setting. Only way to get cold is to select "Max A/C" (normal A/C doesn't blow cold).
I've seen a number of people reporting the same problem online :
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171789

The seemingly same issue on older Rangers
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Summer2009/blend-door.htm

--> is this still applicable for 2007 models ?

I seem to see that Explorers have the same problem, is any information i find on Explorers valid for Rangers ? i.e. is it the exact same design between the 2 vehicles or are there differences ?

The one thing that is different with what i found online, is that when i was playing with the air flow selector (the one that directs the air to the different outlets), some stuff fell off from behind the glove box, by stuff i mean pine needles and dead leaves.

Any guidance on where i should start ?
I've seen some people online talking about a very expensive fix - is that true ?

Thanks for any help

captainhero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I'm having to use the truck a lot more this year so i'm getting more serious about this, with the summer coming I need AC ! :)

I'm trying to get down to the actual issue before i slice up the heater box.
The heater control valve in the engine bay seem to operate normally. However I noticed that whenever the function selector is not on the OFF position, i can see the AC compressor cycling and the coolant line get ice cold. I would only expect the AC compressor to come on when the selector is on the A/C or MAX A/C modes.
Can someone with a fully functional Ranger confirm the behavior ? Is it normal for the AC compressor to cycle constantly ? (by that i mean that i can see the compressor clutch engage for a while and then release ... and then reengage etc... every minute or so)

Based on that, i'm trying to diagnose the whole climate control electrical system to check if the blend door motor is actually getting the right commands from the panel.
I have found some diagnostic info, i will check that, in the meantime i'm posting it here in case it is useful to someone else.
https://www.justanswer.com/ford/4mcme-ford-heat-control-knob-will-not-change-temp.html

captainhero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
glad you found some help. also, maybe something blocking the vents, bird's nest or squirrels, who knows... only six bolts hold the dash in. its more work, but a lot cheaper to take it out and check the ac ducts.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
Check the blend door actuator & the blend door to see if
1. the actuator has failed
2. the blend door has snapped off at the very top of it.

The actuator is mounted to the top of the airbox, you can get at it by swinging down the glove box all the way, it's held in place by 3 small screws. It's a tight fit to get in there, once you have it out ign on, eng off, blower on and rotate the HVAC control knob & watch to see if the motor rotates the short arm on the bottom. If no movement the actuator more than likely needs to be replaced, check the circuit to the motor before you condemn it.

The blend doors do break, they snap at the top where the actuator slips down into the square port at the very top, they are just plastic. If that's failed you will need to replace the blend door. Dorman supplies a replacement. Outside of removing the entire HVAC box one has to cut an opening in the bottom below the door to get the old one out & the new one in.

captainhero

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello
Just a little update on my issue, in case it helps others - finally managed to find time to look into it this afternoon. I checked the voltage, ground and resistance at the actuator connector as indicated in the justanswer link above - all was good.
Pulled the actuator and it didnt move. Looks like the motor was toast. Went to my local dealership and got a replacement one, and everything seems to work now. The 3rd screw is really hard to get to but with some patience i managed to put it back on.

Most people online mention failure of the gears for the actuator, looks like the motor itself is also prone to failure.

Thanks everyone for your help. I now have cold air for the summer ! :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals