• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

No Compressor Bypass Pulley Available??

Canuck4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
...After the last " Adventure " of changing the plugs/ wires on the passenger side of this 03 xlt 4.0....I want all of the ac and related hardware gone! I have never had a need for air conditioning where I live, so I would rather free up some space under the hood.
...I can find a compressor bypass pulley up to a 2002 ranger 4.0. But not for my 2003? I realize I have to track down a non ac heater box from a older ranger but can still use mine for the time Being? Can someone she'd some light on where to get a bypass pulley.
Thanks

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The factory A/C compressor has a bypass on it; the pulley has a electromagnetic clutch that engages when you turn on the A/C. When the A/C is off, the compressor isn't turning. Only the pulley is.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is no such thing as a non AC box that will fit your truck to free up room. The firewall was massively changed in the mid 90's.

FWIW the A/C really helps the defroster work better by drying the air. There is a huge difference between my F-150 with A/C and my Ranger with no A/C in the winter.

Instead of messing with a delete pulley I would just find a belt that would fit without it if possible. I don't have A/C on the Ranger (yet) and that is what I did to get around not having a compressor.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, just go to, or call, the local auto parts store and see if the have a fan belt for 2003 Ranger 4.0l no-AC, listed.

Then you can pull the compressor out and run the shorter belt.

This drawing came up for the Ranger 4.0l SOHC engine: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/working4ev/2011-06-21_190726_1.gif

Not sure if it is correct but looks like you could just put a shorter belt on to bypass AC, going from #2 to #4 pullies

Canuck4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, just go to, or call, the local auto parts store and see if the have a fan belt for 2003 Ranger 4.0l no-AC, listed.

Then you can pull the compressor out and run the shorter belt.

This drawing came up for the Ranger 4.0l SOHC engine: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/working4ev/2011-06-21_190726_1.gif

Not sure if it is correct but looks like you could just put a shorter belt on to bypass AC, going from #2 to #4 pullies
...ok thanks. I read in a few places that I could go to the junkyard and find a 83-92 ranger that came without air conditioning and remove the heater box and install it in my 03 xlt for even more room under the hood. Is this correct ...or am I just confused?...lol

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I doubt it would fit, never tried it though, so............

Google: Ford Ranger Blower housing

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
...ok thanks. I read in a few places that I could go to the junkyard and find a 83-92 ranger that came without air conditioning and remove the heater box and install it in my 03 xlt for even more room under the hood. Is this correct ...or am I just confused?...lol
Up until like 94-95 that was an option. It was probably when the new interior came out in '95... but the firewall changed with it and it will not interchange between anything in the 80's and anything in the 00's.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You are confused. In 95 the firewall changed, including the spacing of the openings that the blower housing attaches to. It the openings got much closer together in preparation for the 5.0 going in the Explorers. One of the early housings will not fit.

Canuck4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
...Thanks for the replies. I want to make as much room as possible under the hood. As mentioned in my first joining this forum...i got this ranger for a steal. It just turned 72,000 miles. Engine and tranny are working awesome. Body and frame are in great shape as well. I am strongly considering getting a moddbox supercharger put on and running low boost.
....270hp at the crank and about 285 lb.ft of torque without a tune, bigger injectors etc is appealing. I wanted to put a supercharger on my hyundai genesis v6...but the stock rings won't handle it.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
FWIw on my 87 with a swapped in 4.0 I access the plugs through the wheelwells by going between the frame and the inner fender.

I should note I have a hand-made 1" body lift on this truck

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
FWIw on my 87 with a swapped in 4.0 I access the plugs through the wheelwells by going between the frame and the inner fender.

I should note I have a hand-made 1" body lift on this truck
Before my bodylift that is how I got to #3 on my 2.8.

HighMileage93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l I4
Transmission
Manual
Wanting to Delete my A/C, too.

I have a 93 2.3 that I want to pull all the A/C parts out of. Does anyone know the Ford part number for the Heat Only housing?

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals