• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 ranger. Fuel pumps stay running

Farkhaed1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ranger is currently not starting. Have spark and fuel. But I'm mostly wanting to find out why when the key is turned on the fuel pumps continually run and do not shut off. Thought possibly the filter and the fuel tank strainer could be clogged and the pumps were not getting enough pressure. Replaced both those parts and checked fuel pressure at the rail. Good pressure at the rail, but still no luck. Also, when I unplug the inertia switch the pumps still run. Shouldn't they shut off when the inertia switch is disconnected? I'd rather figure out the problem instead of buying parts and hoping it fixes the problem. Any help/ideas are much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huh?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
could be someone "customized" the fuel pump circuit. try pulling the plug on the relay. if they still run then it may be rewired completely independent of the ecm grounding control. you might have to slide under the truck and follow the wires back from the tank to see if any non-factory wiring is there.

with spark and gas pressure i'll assume injectors not operating. you can check on that by squirtin' something flammable into the throttle body and cranking the engine. if the spark you got fires whatever you spray in there then spark strength and timing is good.

since both injectors and pumps are supplied a ground by the ecm try remove the negative battery cable then the harness at the ecm and check for continuity between the neg battery cable clamp and pins 20, 40, and 60 on the harness

Last edited:

Farkhaed1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
could be someone "customized" the fuel pump circuit. try pulling the plug on the relay. if they still run then it may be rewired completely independent of the ecm grounding control. you might have to slide under the truck and follow the wires back from the tank to see if any non-factory wiring is there.

with spark and gas pressure i'll assume injectors not operating. you can check on that by squirtin' something flammable into the throttle body and cranking the engine. if the spark you got fires whatever you spray in there then spark strength and timing is good.

since both injectors and pumps are supplied a ground by the ecm try remove the negative battery cable then the harness at the ecm and check for continuity between the neg battery cable clamp and pins 20, 40, and 60 on the harness

Yea, bought it from this guy and he had said there was some wiring issues. I'll check what you said this evening. Thank you

Farkhaed1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay. Pulled the relay and pumps kept going. I found a black wire going from the closest pump to the engine to the ignition wire that plugs into the coil. I tried checking pressure again but the pressure gauge I rented did not work. I rechecked the fuel line after the fuel filter to see if it was getting gas and it was. I pushed the shrader valve in and it shot fuel to the hood. So I know I'm getting fuel up to the rail. It wants to start while spraying starter fluid into the TB. I checked my plugs again and the spark looks weak. I don't think it's a spark issue since it did start a couple days ago but quickly died.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Okay. Pulled the relay and pumps kept going. I found a black wire going from the closest pump to the engine to the ignition wire that plugs into the coil. I tried checking pressure again but the pressure gauge I rented did not work. I rechecked the fuel line after the fuel filter to see if it was getting gas and it was. I pushed the shrader valve in and it shot fuel to the hood. So I know I'm getting fuel up to the rail. It wants to start while spraying starter fluid into the TB. I checked my plugs again and the spark looks weak. I don't think it's a spark issue since it did start a couple days ago but quickly died.

Try this, take the black wire running between the fuel pump and the coil off. Put the relay back in and try to start. Report back :D

Farkhaed1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Try this, take the black wire running between the fuel pump and the coil off. Put the relay back in and try to start. Report back :D

If black wire is disconnected then there is no power going to the pumps.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
OK ,The black wire to the coil isn't factory. But with it off ,the pumps don't run. So the factory system is broken. I would start at the pump relay socket. Jumper battery voltage, which should be at the socket, to the pump power. I would google up the socket's pin out and the part number for the relay. Also check the inertia switch. I wish you the best of luck with that beast. :D

Farkhaed1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks I'll check that. Do you think that since the wire that supplies power to the fuel pump is spliced into the ignition wire it could be giving a constant stream when the key is turned to the pumps making them constantly run while the key is turned? I don't know why I never thought of that before...

huh?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0L
reads like you understand the pumps always on situation.

i would vote on following Andy Ds' lead regarding the wiring.

removing the fuel pump power parasite from the coil power supply wire may beef up the spark a bit, too.

original engine in there?

... beast. :D
hah! first time i opened this thread the other day the first thing that popped into my mind was that the owner needs a couple seat belts on the front bumper there. taking a leisurely ride home from a picnic dinner in the mountains with the missus along a dark winding road. BAAMM!!! THAT'S RIGHT, YOU JUST NAILED BAMBI'S 12-POINT UNCLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all Farkhaed1
would then need to do with his "heavy heart" and "burden of sorrow" is walk around to the front of his 'beast', lift that trophy onto that monster of a tenderizer, belt it in and beat it.

Farkhaed1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Awesome! That could be the culprit!

Bumper is pretty gnarly.

Farkhaed1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Okay, no success on Andy's lead. What I have come to is that it is in fact not a fuel problem at all. I replaced the plugs and kept the fuel pump power spliced into ignition wire and with new plugs the spark is a lot better. If the ICM was bad would there be no spark at all?

Farkhaed1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Checked the injectors and didn't get any ticks from them. Tested ecm and it was dead. Thanks for all the help guys!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals