• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking to install HIDs

09RangerMike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
My neighbors got these 55watt 4500k HIDs on his f150 and they are bright as all hell. I need a little more light and everyone else on the road to stop high beaming me. I have a 2009 ford ranger xlt4x4. My neighbor said he used http://ddmtuning.com for his HID kit. I just need to know how do i find the bulb type, HID harness, and mounting brackets i need to fit my truck. With the bulb type just it say it on the stock headlight bulb?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I need a little more light and everyone else on the road to stop high beaming me.
That would mean you don't need more light, but to re-aim the lights you have now down at the road (they're aimed up into oncoming traffic and is why everyone is beaming you, which converting to (illegal) HIDs would only exacerbate the issue).

One of the many articles here should help you get them aimed back where they should be:
https://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&site=&source=hp&q=aiming+headlights&btnK=Google+Search

If you still think you need more light, then I would suggest adding a set of auxiliary driving or fog lights.

Haywire6000

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo Four Plug Head
Transmission
Manual
For the love of all, don't install those crappy HID kits. Those are horrible for oncoming traffic. Like 4x4junkie said, you should re-adjust your lights first. Besides, the factory housing are not made for HIDs. I personally think factory lights are fine for city and town driving. If you need more light for country back roads, install some day lighters.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
there are legal upgrades.

and the factory lights suck compared to modern lights with cut offs. you drive with a quality led/hid with cut offs in the same vehicle i am confidant you would agree.

too much money for my cheap as....i will drive with my old crappy light for now.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
there are legal upgrades.
That is debatable, and depends on how you want to define "legal" in this instance. The last time I checked there were several kits that were NHTSA approved, but none that had received F-DOT approval. That would make those kits legal for use on roads that weren't built or maintained using federal funds.

Most state or local governments that I have dealt with determine legality by the white light test, hold a sheet of paper in front of it, if you see any color but white it's a no-go, so even blue or yellow at the edges, which they all have, is out.

Here in PA, we can't make up our minds at all. In the last 4 years I have been told three sets of rules, and I haven't asked yet this year.

The long and short of HID conversion is this:

To be done correctly it is expensive. You need new lenses that are approved for HID use, not halogen use like your stock lenses, integrated ballasts, and it needs to be the ones that have a moving shutter or move the bulb in and out for the high/low function, rather than trying to lower power to the bulb.

I agree with Bobby that compared to old halogen lights HID or LED are far superior, and they should be, the technology is only about 100 years newer. But to be done correctly and safely it is expensive, and in some area it cannot be done legally at all.

I also agree with everyone else here, start by having the existing lights aimed. They are probably not pointed at the right spot and are illuminating the oncoming drivers rather than the road.

Headlights in general, and the low beam in particular, are for you to be seen more than for you to see with. The high beams are more for seeing because you only use them when no other cars are around to see you, and if they aren't enough you should look into some auxiliary lights, and probably go get your eyes checked too, as you might be starting to loose your night vision.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
and the factory lights suck compared to modern lights with cut offs. you drive with a quality led/hid with cut offs in the same vehicle i am confidant you would agree.
I find it annoying if the cutoff is too sharp. Pretty much every oncoming driver also thinks you're flashing your brights at them for no reason when the beam hits them as you drive over a bump or slight undulation in the road.

And FWIW, I've yet to see an automotive LED light that is superior to a halogen light of comparable luminosity... Every one I've seen casts a blue glare and washes out colors (especially reds & earth tones) because they're fitted with LEDs of a far-too-high color temperature (this is also why LED lights typically are unable to pierce through darkness as well as halogen or HID lights can).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals