• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 explorer problem

93splash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L of pure power :)
Transmission
Manual
I have a 99 explorer that i just bought. 4 door. 4x4, Red, New tires brakes, exhuast, stickered till next year for $400. Previous owner just said it clicks so i bought it thinking it was just a starter.

Now that bad when i turn the key it just clicks..

Got a new starter yesterday and put that in. still the same click. Went online to think about what it is. Changed all the battery cables and still the same thing.

When I turn the key the theft light flashs on and off. and when i try to crank it its like the motor is seized and the starter cant turn it.. everything inside turns off like a power serge.. if that makes sence??

I am usually good with cars and fords. Had a bunch of them and I have a lowered ranger on 17s for my dd but excited to get my first explorer.

Any ideas on what i could do next or any suggestions would help. I also have a 99 mountaineer complete. with the 5.0, trans, transfer case, rear end, harness, gem mod, computer etc. Complete vehicle which my leather interior came from but im holding out on the 5.0 swap because the 4.0 might be good and im afraid of that pats system lol.

Sorry for the long post...

thank you

Rusty

AccordRanger

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/99
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9/4.0
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the PATS system. You may have to take it to Ford and have them program the keys.

93splash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
motors siezed...... time for the 5.0 swap..

Got a couple ?'s.. The 5.0 exhaust was cut right off after the manifolds so it has no cats or exhaust on it but the 4.0 has a complete brand new exhaust so im wondering if the 4.0 exhaust would bolt until the 5.0 manifolds.

I need some pats experts.. I have the complete mountaineer that the 5.0 is coming from. I know the pats are in basically the whole truck so could i just swap the gem mod and computer from the 5.0 truck into my explorer with the 4.0. Or would i have to swap more.. If so maybe can i get some advice on this.

I researched on explorer forums but all i could find for 5.0 swaps is 5.0 to 5.0 and that dosent help me to much.

thank you guys for everything.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I THINK this is correct, but I'm not 100% on this:

You should be able to drop a 5.0 and trans in. The exhaust Y-pipe will give you trouble, I don't think they match, different pipe sizes. The if the PCM you get for the 5.0 came from a non-pats vehicle then you will need to get the PATS turned off in the IC module. If it came from a PATS car you will need to get keys programmed.

I think....

93splash

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
4.0 is from a 1999 explorer.

I have a whole complete 1999 5.0 mountaineer that i plan on swapping stuff from.

so im hoping most stuff should swap right over..

I wonder if i swap the comp and gem modual from the 5.0 over to the xplorer if it work work?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals