• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Throttle Problems

Lazylacrosse5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have an 89 Bronco II with 2.9 5 speed 4x4. Lately I have been having problems with the throttle. Sometimes it runs fine but most of the time it won't rev up when in first or second gear past about 1500 rpms, and it just bounces like i'm slipping the clutch. When taking off it feels like I'm running out of gas and will not smoothly rev up. When I start it up it usually runs fine until I let it idle for a little while(such as at a long stop light)then the idle drops to about 4-500 rpms instead of the 800-1000 rpms. Once I get it up to speed it runs okay but there still feels like there some resistance with the throttle. I've tried changing a chunk of the fuel line and the fuel filter as I first thought there was something blocking the line. The fuel pump is fairly new and I checked it and it is working fine. Someone told me I just needed a tuneup so I changed the plugs and wires as well. The next step I was planning on changing the distributor cap and rotor as well as cleaning the injectors, but I wanted to get some feedback to see if anyone else has had this problem. I have had the B2 for almost 4 years and really don't want to get rid of it.

bronco_lou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 explorer 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Why don't you pull the codes from the computer and let it tell you what is wrong.

Louis

jhammel85

Doubt it's worth getting rid of. Like he Lou said, try grabbing codes and see if that gives you any insight.

Other than that, how did the plugs look when you took them out? Check the cat at night to make sure its not plugged and glowing red hot.

Lazylacrosse5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yea the plugs looked all right. there wasn't too much buildup on them. I'll go get the codes checked then. And no the cat is not glowing or anything like that.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I agree that a tune up is probably in order. Get plugs, wires, cap and rotor replaced, might want to think about a new O2 sensor if it's been a while (I usually break mine every year or so, like physically break it) they can sometimes cause that to happen. Also check all your large gauge wires, make sure they aren't corroded, breaking, or falling off their connections.

Also, check your timing.

Lazylacrosse5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I actually just realized that I can't pull the codes as the check engine light has not come on

necessaryevil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you can pull codes even though the cel is not on, anytime the ecu "sees" something wrong, it will store a code but may not light the cel. pull the codes, perform a koeo the reference section can tell you how, the ecu can tell you tons of information if you know how to listen to it.

Lazylacrosse5

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
you can pull codes even though the cel is not on, anytime the ecu "sees" something wrong, it will store a code but may not light the cel. pull the codes, perform a koeo the reference section can tell you how, the ecu can tell you tons of information if you know how to listen to it.
Okay sorry but I'm a little confused on how I go about this. I usually get help from my step dad because he is a diesel mechanic but he's stumped with it as well. How exactly do I go about pulling the codes? And also I'm a poor college student so if I have to take it to a shop that is usually outside of my budget. And when you say the reference section are talking about on this site, cause I couldn't find anything on here about how to perform a koeo

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals