• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Would upgrading to the 8.8 be worth it for a 4cyl?

Tikker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I'm looking to buy a Power Trax lock right locker to help with winter driving this year. I drive a '03 Mazda 2.3L with a manual & my driving style is very conservative to save on gas. I don't ever plan to put larger tires on the truck & the off-road driving I will ever do is on the gravel roads on WMA land when I'm out hunting.

So given what I'll be doing with the truck, is there much of a reason to upgrade the axle?

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
Not really.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
Nope. But I upgraded mine because I found an 8.8 with Ford Racing 4.10s, a Trick Flow girdle, and an Eaton Posi for $250. That was the cheapest way to get posi that I could find, plus I could replace the outer bearings and seals and clean it up and paint it all before installing it.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Very little.

I put an Explorer axle in mine because I had found it for $50 on another forum, it was originally for another project that I never ended up doing. I wanted to re-gear the axle with some sort of traction enhancer, and my 7.5" was noticeably getting a little long in the tooth, and needed a host of new parts as well.

After comparing all the parts I needed that had an equivalent counterpart between the 2 axles (7.5" and Explorer 8.8), the Explorer axle was around $20 more expensive... No joke. But the deciding factor was the locker. I really wanted a selectable locking diff, as it's mostly a highway truck, and when I needed traction I didn't want to waste time and fool around with a L/S, I needed all the traction my tires were going to give me. Since no selectable lockers were available for the 7.5", I went with the 8.8".

If ARB or whoever made a locker for the 7.5", I probably would have done it. Better ground clearance, and it's a under-rated axle IMO. Especially for the smaller engines.

But if you're looking for a selectable traction enhancer, a Ranger 8.8 is the way to go. Bolts right in, and has a host of options. Granted it's the more expensive route, but it's soooooo nice.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Going from a 7.5 to a 2.8 spline 8.8 is pretty pointless IMO. They have the same weak point and use the same part there. The 31-spline is the real upgrade for strength, which is still pointless if you only have a 2.3.

If you have some other goal in mind, like a locker, that can't be done on a 7.5, go for it.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
28 spline sucks. I'm swapping up to the 31 in November as well as running disc brakes. I picked up mine from an Explorer which has factory posi and 3.73 gears. Ruffstuff makes a swap kit. It's actually quite cost effective versus adding a locker, you also get a stronger axle.

Tikker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I suppose it would be worth it if I decided to convert it to 4wd, but from what I've read online the regular cab's are tough to change over. Although it would be cool to have a solid axle under there.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
A 4x4 conversion is kind of a niche thing.

But back to your original post,

If a lock-Right seems like it will do what you want it to do, I'd go with that. The 7.5" axle will last indefinitely (barring regular wear and neglectful maintenance) when subjected to 4cyl power and stock tires.

↑↑↑ Most important part of this post

↓↓↓ Extra info/options

But if you want to make the move to a selectable locker, which will act exactly like an open diff when un-locked, then I'd put a Ranger 8.8" in it. Only because there are no selectable locker options for a 7.5" though (which is silly). A Ranger 8.8 (say, 1993 or newer just to be safe) will bolt right in, 0 modifications.

Stock limited slips (L/S's) aren't lockers, and if you pick it up out of something at a junkyard there's a good chance it's worn to uselessness and will need new clutches. You will also need to weld for a Explorer 8.8 swap, so either pay a shop, or do it yourself. Either way you need extra money for that. 31 splines are stronger, there's no argument against that. But in this application, strength is a moot point.

28 spline, is fine.

I can get my locked 2wd a surprising number of places. Diff locks and tire tread pattern (not size) for the expected (or most common) terrain are the 2 most important mods that will get you to where you want to go.

Tikker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the input guys, I decided to stick with the 7.5 and buy the Powertrax lock-right locker. I just ordered it a few minutes ago. I was starting to think about selling the truck and buying into something else that I can take off road. But the 30+ mpg I'm getting now would be long gone, so I'll get by another year or so driving this truck and just make it adequate enough to get me by on what I need. Later on I'll find a set of rims on craigslist and throw some A/T or snow tires on it for hunting/winter season.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Tikker:

Does your B2300 have coil springs in front or torsion bars?

If it has torsion bars, the move to SLA 4x4 is almost bolt in (about same amount of fabrication/welding as installing an Explorer rear differential; more new <or experienced> parts).

If it has coils (or your heart is set on SAS), you would be looking at a lot more fabrication.

Note: In either case, kiss 30+mpg good bye.

Tikker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Don, I have the independent front suspension. It was the same way as my '04 Ranger with the 3.0 engine. I think it's the FX4 style 2wd trucks that come with the torsion bars. It's been a few years since I looked that up so I could be wrong.

I just picked up all the supplies I need to install the lock-right & will have a go at it tomorrow.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals