• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recommended locker

gabestalker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1996 ranger 4x4 and i'm looking to get a rear locker. I've looked around but can't seem to find the right one. If anyone has some info on a good and somewhat inexpensive locker that would be much appreciated. It would mostly be used for the occasional off road trip, nothing to crazy. And no i don't want to weld it. Thanks in advance.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'd go for a richmond lock rite. They're not too expensive and work very well. Just be careful in parking lots. Also, I'm not one that can parallel park very well to begin with, with a lock rite, there's no way. It just doesn't turn much at all.

I hear a lot that putting the locker up front helps more off road, and when in the case of an aussie or spool type, it goes away when you're in 2wd. A lock rite is there all the time. Problem with lockers up front is that you tend to break things much easier.

gabestalker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd go for a richmond lock rite. They're not too expensive and work very well. Just be careful in parking lots. Also, I'm not one that can parallel park very well to begin with, with a lock rite, there's no way. It just doesn't turn much at all.

I hear a lot that putting the locker up front helps more off road, and when in the case of an aussie or spool type, it goes away when you're in 2wd. A lock rite is there all the time. Problem with lockers up front is that you tend to break things much easier.
Ok thanks, I wil look into a richmond and see what happens.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Beware that you will see increased tire wear, a touch less mpg, a very loud POP when it unloads at low speeds (seriously, you'll be convinced you just snapped an axle or something). You can hear it ratchet in tight turns, it won't turn as tight... just be prepared. It does still make quite a difference, starting on wet roads, light snow, mud ruts (especially a difference when you fall into a rut on the passenger side, but the driver side is on solid ground). It almost eliminates the need for 4x4 in most cases, since in most of those cases it performs better than the 2 open diffs. But then you put it in 4x4, and have 3 wheel drive, makes things really fun.

gabestalker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Beware that you will see increased tire wear, a touch less mpg, a very loud POP when it unloads at low speeds (seriously, you'll be convinced you just snapped an axle or something). You can hear it ratchet in tight turns, it won't turn as tight... just be prepared. It does still make quite a difference, starting on wet roads, light snow, mud ruts (especially a difference when you fall into a rut on the passenger side, but the driver side is on solid ground). It almost eliminates the need for 4x4 in most cases, since in most of those cases it performs better than the 2 open diffs. But then you put it in 4x4, and have 3 wheel drive, makes things really fun.
Thanks for all the info. I've driven with welded diff's before so i know how the turning can be and how fun it can be on wet roads or snow. Thanks again!

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It obviously won't be nearly as bad as a welded diff, but if you have that experience, then you should be fine. In my experience, it won't unlock when it's under heavy load. So if you floor it, there won't be any difference. But a gentle acceleration won't make you go crazy. I don't notice it at all at highway speeds because the curves aren't too tight, but over really long, light curves, it has unlocked once or twice (took a while to build up)

Bottom line is don't drive like an idiot and you won't have negative side-affects.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my .02, i have a limited slip rear and a aussie in the front end, it works pretty damn well, i always just cruise around in 4 low till i need the front end then get out and lock the hubs in, it turns like dog crap, i can do a 2 point turn without it locked in, once its locked its about like a 6 point turn. also i dont get stupid stuck, the limited slip always gives up the ghost before i get so stuck the front wont pull it out.

since its not pure offroad i would look into a limited slip with extra clutches.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my .02, i have a limited slip rear and a aussie in the front end, it works pretty damn well, i always just cruise around in 4 low till i need the front end then get out and lock the hubs in, it turns like dog crap, i can do a 2 point turn without it locked in, once its locked its about like a 6 point turn. also i dont get stupid stuck, the limited slip always gives up the ghost before i get so stuck the front wont pull it out.

since its not pure offroad i would look into a limited slip with extra clutches.
+1

I like my rear limited slip so much I think I am going to put one in front too.

They don't work so well if you have tires hanging in the air and crazy articulation but this flatlander is a happy camper in snow and mud. :icon_thumby:

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Dude, you sound like me. Just go and pay the $300 (new) for the Richmond Lock-Rite.

I did my install last year after messing around with the LSD. My truck is a DD in a big major city with 35" tires, and it's fine. I did not notice a drop in MPG. Definite traction. Easy & steady throttle in curves & turns is the trick.

You will get used to driving this an auto locker.

I think this is the best bang for the buck, and I have not a single regret.

It does chirp the tires or grind the locking mechanism in tight turns, but you learn to drive better and avoid those scenarios.

I have not noticed bad tire wear, but then again, my tires are already getting worn, too. Ha. From a real world perspective, yes, there should be "accelerated tire wear." But again, it's so minimal.

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What agpete said. I disagree with his unnoticeable tire wear, since after about 15k miles i saw that the rear tires had lost an extra 1/16". Other than that, he's 100% right.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I went with the Richmond "No-Slip" that is more DD friendly but cost quite a bit more. Used on my Winter 4x4 DD with no problems or regrets at all. Easy install, got another set for my 4x2.
Dave

FritzTKatt

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Same difference, it's the same principle, he won't go wrong with either.

smichaelR22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Ultra4
get an Aussie hands down for lunchbox type

Made in USA just down the street from me. installed 100's- great lockers

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals