• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Atypical starter problem. I'm out of ideas

hurgrave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2,9 (177 ci)
Transmission
Manual
Hello, camrades!
I have a non-common problem with my 1987 Bronco II XLT (manual trans). And I'm running out of ideas how to fix it.

My starter drive teeth seem to slip on flywheel ring gear teeth. The fork throws starter drive forward long enough (about half an inch). It just seems the diameter of starter drive or flywheel ring gear is not enough. The teeth engage by the very edge. Both the starter drive and flywheel ring gear were taken by using a Ford part number and it's (the last purchased) a 9-teeth OEM drive. The starter flange seats in place with no misfit, the bolts are torqued.
I had changed four starter drives and one flywheel ring gear. And even one rebuild starter. With the same result. One or two acceptable starts and then... the same goddamn grinding sound and chewed teeth on starter drive.

I'd be most happy if someone will tell me what to do.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Was the BII changed to a manual trans or is it the original? I ask this because I put the 4.0 clutch kit in mine and had to change the starter to the 4.0 manual version to match the larger flywheel.

TUX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 V6
Transmission
Manual
I have this issue too. I think it might have something to do with aftermarket starter, possibly the number of teeth/diameter of their bendix. I have only been able to jerry-rig mine to work for a few months (at most) at a time by shimming the starter a bit so that the bendix is kinked toward the flywheel.

Start by pushing the start as close to the flywheel as possible, there is some play in the position the starter will sit, that will get you close. Then I have used a piece of sheet metal (18ga?) folded over once and shimmed in just inside (engine side) of both starter bolts, right at the starter's bolt flange. This makes the starter sit crooked in it's place but gets the gears a bit closer together.

This is a crap "solution" I know, but it is better than push-starting your truck all the time. I also keep a short 3/8 drive ratchet (cheap-o HD husky works great) between the driver's door and seat because this is a constant issue :( Good luck.

jrpdash9

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like a auto trans starter in the wrong application

hurgrave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2,9 (177 ci)
Transmission
Manual
Thank you for the response!

I put the 4.0 clutch kit in mine and had to change the starter to the 4.0 manual version to match the larger flywheel.
Thank you for the idea. I haven't mentioned it. I had not swapped anything to 4.0 setup. Flywheeland clutch are new and bone stock. I used a CPD200 partnumbers for 2.9 before ordering. It's the only solution to get spare parts in Russia where I live. I have no experienced mechanics (in Ford truks), no instatntly available part stores. It's a 'push-and-see-what-happens' every time. So I depend on your advices much.

I also keep a short 3/8 drive ratchet (cheap-o HD husky works great) between the driver's door and seat because this is a constant issue :( Good luck.
I do just the same. Thank you for sharing experience. But I got a bit annoyed turning bolts and nuts daily ;) I want to eliminate a problem once and for all.

sounds like a auto trans starter in the wrong application
Are those starters completely different? My ride came with a rebuild and the replacement rebuilt starter I've got from salvage was identical. My parts dealer told me nothing about different auto/man starters. Neither a Microcat CPD2000 catalog and Haynes manual. That's all I have of info about parts.
Is there a partnumber? Can you tell me?

hurgrave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2,9 (177 ci)
Transmission
Manual
Can you, please, tell me is there a difference between B2/Ranger 1987 starters in auto or manual gearboxes? Manufacturers tell nothing but what if they're different?

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There is a little more cut out on the manual starter. There is a different part number. Try WWW.autozone.com. It will give you part numbers

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Park on a hill sounds more reasonable to me i like rolling and starting anyways cause youre already going lol.

Pbheadshots

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/8 mix
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In soviet Russia you don't start your car, it starts you... (just had too)

But seriously Are Mazdas common in RU? I know when I was in Guatemala Mazda mechanics where the only people who could closely work on ford trucks since they are rbv's.

Try looking at the salvage for a Manuel starter. To fix the problem all together you could always upgrade to the 4.0 clutch/flywheel/starter for the manual tranny. But $$ and part availability is your limiter.

Idk about RU but in guatemala part stores DON'T exist, unless you drive a yota.

hurgrave

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2,9 (177 ci)
Transmission
Manual
My buddies have suggested I should install a kickstart :)
It's a pity but our local Mazda mechanics have not ever seen any Bronco. Beleieve it or not when I mentioned 'Crown Victoria' they seek for it in Toyota catalog...
- I have a Crown Victoria. I want to scan OBD codes. Will you...
- We are Ford/Mazda service center. We don't deal with Toyota!
- It's FORD Crown Victoria!
- Oh! But we don't deal with Pontiac too!
- It's F-O-R-D! USA Ford!
- We don't have appropriate scanner.
(Then I'm lucky to have a paper clip and CEL diag manual)

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have a good 2.9 M/T starter.

I'm thinking that shipping to Russia might be a bit steep though.

Pbheadshots

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/8 mix
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My buddies have suggested I should install a kickstart :)
It's a pity but our local Mazda mechanics have not ever seen any Bronco. Beleieve it or not when I mentioned 'Crown Victoria' they seek for it in Toyota catalog...
- I have a Crown Victoria. I want to scan OBD codes. Will you...
- We are Ford/Mazda service center. We don't deal with Toyota!
- It's FORD Crown Victoria!
- Oh! But we don't deal with Pontiac too!
- It's F-O-R-D! USA Ford!
- We don't have appropriate scanner.
(Then I'm lucky to have a paper clip and CEL diag manual)
Trust me I know exactly how you feel. Us Americans are spoiled on how auto service is concerned, ever try and look for an obsolete part for a dodge truck in south america? Haha doesn't exist! It's like finding a needle In a cornmaze...

Makes you appreciate Things more.

josh_cloud

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
im having the same issue with a bronco2 i bought a month ago. it had this issue when i bought it, so the first thing i did was replace the starter, flywheel and clutch. 50 to 100 starts later, the starter wont touch the flywheel. i double checked the starter when i got it to make sure that it was a manual trans starter. i'll be swapping out the starter tomorrow, but im sure it'll happen again. any ideas?

josh_cloud

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i also went to autozone and o'reilly's and they both tell me theres only one part # for the "87 bronco2 manual or auto...... anyone have a good manual trans starter part #? thanks

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Manual and automatic starters are the same. Furthermore, the 2.8 starter is also the same.

The difference in length matters for V8's but not here. (the V8 starters for automatics have a longer "snout" and the bendix gear sits out much further than the manual trans starters.)

I have not personally experienced this issue, but I have seen a few RBVs that have it. I think the problem is poorly rebuilt starters, using the wrong bolts for the starter, and not getting it aligned just right. People also try replacing the flexplate/flywheel as well which just throws another variable into the mix... do not replace those unless they are missing teeth, worn out, or otherwise damaged.

I think the safest thing to do is have your original starter rebuilt, make sure the bolt holes do not get egged out, and leave the flywheel or flexplate in place rather than replacing it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals