• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

turbo options for a 302 small block

DC

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 for now
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31s
My credo
if it aint broke dont fix it if it is broke upgrade
I wana run a turbo for my 302 that im installing in my ranger its a stock block so I don't want one that well destroy my engine this truck is use for street an the mud holes an some trail riding
Now the problem is that I don't know enough about turbos to save my life
I don't know what size I need or what brands are the best :icon_confused: any help would be greatly appreceated

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
The thing with turbo's is the same turbo that will give you 5 psi can give you 25 psi boost with the turn of a screw or press of a button, depending on what setup you go with. Turbo's are very advanced and a lot of homework needs to go with them. Even an undersized turbo can burn a motor up quick. It's not the turbo that can do the damage, its the lack of proper tuning that goes with boosting. Can it be done, absolutely. Can you afford someone knowledgeable enough to design a system for you (like helion turbo systems), probably not. Not saying you cant do this on your own, but if you're not very familiar with turbos and tuning them, you might want to do a LOT of reading and researching if you want to do this yourself.
Boost is very addicting, you will always want more. Can you leave the setup alone once its setup correctly so you dont blow your engine? Also, the cost of turboing is not just in the turbo's. Can the rest of your drivetrain (trans, driveshafts, axles) handle the extra power?
With the proper setup, you can easily double the power output of a stock 302 (you WILL have people disagree with this statement), so it all comes down to this: what do you have more of, time & knowledge, or money?

SVT

DC

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 for now
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31s
My credo
if it aint broke dont fix it if it is broke upgrade
well I have plenty of time but I lack the knowledge in this field I believe the drivetrain I have planed out for this truck well work for it an the trans I haven't decided with I want an auto or manual leaning more towards the manual though my main problem with the turbo is what the best set up for what I want to do with the truck which hulling quads up to old cars or parts trucks around an hitting the mud around which I live an slight trail riding the more research I do on this it would be cheaper an easier just to beef up the motor but im still not heart set on it

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals