• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best way to tackle a clutch job

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am going to need to replace my flywheel soon. I am going to clean up the transmission, transfer case and fix oil leaks while I am doing this job. What is the best way to handle this job: 1 Pull motor and trans together. 2 Pull trans and transfer case than lift up motor to change the pan gasket.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Depends on your shop setup, and helpers available

Dropping trans and transfer case together or separate is not all that hard to do alone.

Then lifting motor out or just up is probably best, in my opinion.

If you have extra hands to guide engine/trans out and then back in it can be easier to disassemble and reassemble

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
IMHO, anytime you can leave the engine in there is a good time.

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I pulled the transfer case, trans and motor. New flywheel and bolts on the way, got a slave cylinder off of ebay "Dorman". New motor mounts. I am going to order the clutch and pressure plate. Pulled the oil pan Will clean the strainer. No need to change the oil pump, it runs at 20 psi and idle. replace the pan gasket and rear seal. Got a set of headers so I got an 88 ecm and am removing all the egr circuit. Now I am cleaning everything. I wished I weighed it before I started. I have removed a ton of dirt, oil, salt and grease. I have a coating like por I got at summit for the surfaces.

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got the seals all replaced on the transfer case and cleaned it all up. Cleaned up the oil pan. I have the gasket kit for the transmission and I am in the process of cleaning up.
Parts list so far,
Exedy Clutch kit 110.00
Dorman Slave cylinder 52.62
Flywheel Rinopac 59.40
Flywheel bolts 4.99.

I bought some 2.9 headers amd an 88 ecm to remove the egr.
I have already ported the intake and heads to match. But this is another story.

Slammin Sam

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I assume you are changing the trans lube during this process. If so, be sure you use a lube rated GL-4, NOT GL-5 A GL-5 fluid can damage the brass syncro rings.
Its getting harder to find non-GL-5 lube. Amsoil makes a great synthetic. Its pricey, about $16.00 a quart. It's Amsoil Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube 75W90.

Last edited:

Terry

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I have done most of the cleaning and detail work to the truck, trans, transfer case and motor. I will be taking the engine off the engine stand to change the seal do some more cleaning. I am thinking about putting the trans and motor back together and installing it and one complete unit. I think the work I can do before it is under the truck will make it easier. I did not take the motor out with the trans bolted up so I am not sure what I will run into. I also pulled the fender wells and will put them back on after I build the new exhaust.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals