• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First ranger project and I have questions.....

mikedd969

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all!!

I was recently presented with a 100% free, zero-dollar, 1999 Ranger. I wasn't really looking for one, but this one found me.

It is a 2WD, Extended Cab XLT in Red. It has just under 94K miles on the clock and the 3.0 ("V" code) with an automatic transmission. I have no service history, or really any other information about it. It's been in at least 2 accidents. There is un-repaired damage from a front-end collision and also from being hit on the drivers side. The bedside is caved way in from the back of the cab to the rear wheel well. The good news is that I can find absolutely no rust anywhere on this truck, none.

Most of the front end damage can be repaired by replacing the, mostly plastic/fiberglass parts that are broken. Grill, grill support, turn/marker light housing. Hopefully I can source those parts from local junkyards, and if not, they all seem to be available from the aftermarket. I'll deal with the mangled bumper brackets and missing bumper later....

The most serious damage to the front is that the radiator core support is pushed back about 3/4" on the passenger side...I don't have the welder I'd need to just replace it, so I'm going to have to try to straighten it out. I'm pretty good with engine/drivetrain, chassis and electrical work, but I don't have a lot of experience with body repair. I'm thinking that a slide hammer and some patience will be able to pull the core support back into shape, but if anyone has other ideas I'm all ears.

On the damage to the bed, I'm just going to replace the whole thing. I can get one from any of the local junkyards for less than $200. It won't be perfect, but the dings and scrapes it will have will be much easier to fix. This brings up a question. It looks like all the Ranger beds remained the same from 1993-whenever... Is this the case? The best condition bed I have found locally is from a 1995. Will that fit my 1999 truck? I hope so.

That's really all the major work this truck seems to need.

Mechanically this little truck seems solid. It had a bad battery and a dead alternator (the reason it was parked). One new battery and a $25 alternator rebuild kit later and it fired right up. No sign that it'd been sitting undriven for 6 months.... It drive well, slowly, but well. As far as I can see, everything works. AC is cold, no CEL or active fault codes. Power windows and locks are good, even the cruise control works!! Lots of creaks and groans from the suspension, so there is probably some work to do there.

There are small things. The mirror on the passenger side has no glass. The interior needs a deep cleaning. The entire truck will need to be re-painted. It needs tires.

Not bad for a $0 truck!! :yahoo:

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You don't need to have a welder to replace the core support. You can cut the welds on the old one and bolt a new one in.

Yes, the beds are pretty much the same form 93 on, maybe some minor cosmetic changes, but it won't look too funny.

mikedd969

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
You don't need to have a welder to replace the core support. You can cut the welds on the old one and bolt a new one in.

Yes, the beds are pretty much the same form 93 on, maybe some minor cosmetic changes, but it won't look too funny.
Thanks! I hadn't thought of that. If my attempts at straightening fail, then I'll probably go that route.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I'm pretty sure that's how a body shop would end up doing it. No matter how careful you are cutting those spot welds you will end up leaving a hole on one side or the other, and then you are better off drilling it out a hair to put bolts in. I have one for my BII waiting for another project to move. I have lock nuts and thread locker for that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals