• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Axle Shaft Differences on 8.8 Explorer Axle

bronc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has figured out the differences in axle shafts between 91-94 31 spline explorer axles and 95-01 31 spline explorer axles. I know the Gen 2 has discs and Gen 1 is drums but I assumed the axle shafts themselves were the same but I figured that was wrong when I started looking into it.

For example G2 doesn't offer axle shafts for 1st gen, only 2nd. Nitro offers one Sku (per side) for 91-01 and one for 05-01. Yukon offers a Sku for 91-94 and one for 95-01. Jeff's bronco graveyard is the same as Yukon, one from 91-94 and one from 95-01. Some companies indicate a very minor difference in length between gen 1 and gen 2 but Yukon for sure have both the same length. I called all the companies except G2 I think. Yukon was the most willing to help, Nitro helped but with some ignorance, Jeff's had no clue and told me to call their manufacturer which is the same manufacturer as Yukon, go figure. Yukon's c clip eliminator kit specifies 95-01 only.

After all my discussions, it sounds like the bearings, lengths, everything like that is the same between gen 1 and 2. Yukon (regarding their c clip elim kit) figured maybe there is a difference in the bolting on the axle itself to the brakes but I am sure on this website it indicates how you can upgrade drums to discs so that bolting must be the same. In the end it was Nitro that indicated that the pilot diameter (the diameter of the raised circle on the flange, aka the diameter of the circle of the brake drum (91-95) or the disc (95-01) that would fit over the raised portion of the axle flange) is the only difference. The gen 1 had a larger pilot diameter than the gen 2. Hence why Nitro has their Skus in that fashion. A gen 1 axle shaft would work on a gen 2 with a little extra room between the disc (not great as you'd then rely on the studs to centre the disc) and the pilot but a gen 2 axle will not work on a gen 1. The drum wouldn't fit onto the shaft.

Has anyone else found this? I feel like this is something that should be put in the Tech Article for the 8.8.

Also, because of this the c clip elim won't work on a gen 1 unfortunately. It is the only way to get 4340 chromoly shafts. The 1541H alloy that all the other aftermarket shafts are made of are still about a 25% increase in strength over stock. This also does not jive with information implied on the page about c clip eliminators as it states that they work with drums. None that I have seen work with drums other than Strange has some for Drum's but specifically states passenger car (mustang) only.

I looked into all this because I was confused why each manufacturer was doing it a little difference and wanted to make sure I was buying the right thing. Something wasn't adding up to me.

Comments? Next time I'm at the junkyard I want to bring a caliper and measure the pilot differences to confirm.

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
The Gen 2 axles came on disc brake rearends. The only difference I have found is the disc axles are slightly longer, although the Gen 1 axles will work with the same disc brake setup. BGY lists how long the axles are for specific years. I had my axles made up at Dutchman Fab in OR.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Bronc:

What I found in my searching: '91-94 left axle is 1/4" longer and right is corresponding 1/4" shorter than the '95-'02s. Bearing diameter, brake pilot, splines were all the same. As with you, most of my information came from Yukon.

FWIW,

Don

bronc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I measured the pilot diameters and can confirm that they are the same Gen 1 to Gen 2. Maybe the lengths are slightly different, not sure. I ended up ordering the Nitro axle shafts from 91-01 and they worked fine.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I converted my first gen 8.8 to disc and the only problem I had/have is a minor squeak from the parking brake shoes contacting the drum surface on corners (was constant right after the swap, but now it's much less, and my guess is it's just the steel centering feelers not the shoes), if in doubt order the newer shafts as the housings are the same... but whatever, not a huge thing either way...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals