• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"check engine" light

fish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It's the first time the light has come on since I have owned the truck, and I HATE taking it in if I don't have to. How can I decode the message, and since it's probably tuning work necessary, what can I do to improve power or economy in my '95 3.0L 5sp 4x4 with way too tall gears. This is my first small truck and it sure seems like it burns a lot of gas for very lack luster performance. thanks for the input.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Autozone parts stores will read your codes for free, but if you're going to rely on a 14-yr old truck, you might want to invest $50-$80 on your own OBD code reader... forget if your 1995 is OBD-II or the older OBD-I... best to get a scanner that reads both.

Report back with your codes... the offending part is not always what the code indicates.

PS: Do you have way too tall gears, or way too tall TIRES?

1996xlt3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
plugs,wires, all fluids dont forget the rear end and transfer case, filters small shit ect...

1996xlt3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
and your tires...

fish

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
No Auto zones on this Island, so I'm still looking to read the code. I'll report back when I get that information. Does it plug in under the dash? In general terms, are double platinum plugs and 8mm silicone wires the way to go? I'm really confused on air filters. By the way, my tires are 235/75R15 b-stones with 3:73 gears.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals