• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cruise Control

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I've been PMed a couple of times with cruise questions so I've decided to post a little info here.

First, I dont use vaccuum cruises. Performance is marginal at best. I install around 200 cruise controls a year and I don't have time for problems. Electronic Cruise controls are very reliable. The one or two problems I've had have always been install related.

The cruise controls I use are the Rostra or the Audiovox. The part numbers are 250-1316 or the 250-1223

VSS for most Rangers is Gray/Black and can be located at the PCM. But many times there is a better location. On the 93 and 94 look for the plug coming up from the trans. Its located on the left inner fender

Many newer Rangers have a cruise control plug on the right inner fender. Also in many Rangers this is the ideal location for the cruise control box.

Now to get the wire inside we usually need to drill a 3/4-inch hole. I like to remove the fuse/relay box, tie wrap it out of the way and drill the hole just above the wire block. There is usually nothing on the other side but always double check before drilling.

Last edited:

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Linkage is pretty straight forward on most Rangers. The only problems that we encounter will be with the early 2.3's and some of the 4.0's. These vehicles suck. You need to match the factory pull as close as possible. In other words, the cruise cable needs to be parellel to the throttle cable

Last edited:

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Testing Testing, this is the third time I've had to log in, in the past 30 Minutes.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
When we are done under the hood it should resemble this

The VSS can be located at the PCM if necessary. As far as the ground, I always like to use a factory grounding point. Most Rangers have a green bolt ( 8mm head) next to the cruise plug, this one didnt (its an Explorer)

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I have to log in again, and thats why I dont respond to PM's, any response that take more than 5 minutes require 2 or more log ins

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
On the inside, we only need to tap three wires. The constant 12-volt source and the switched 12-volt source, both are located at the brake switch. The other wire is a swithed source located at the ignition switch.

Notice that the fuses are put in an easy to access location.

The white plug is where the control handle plugs in.

Switch settings for these cruises will be
ON-OFF-ON-ON-OFF-OFF-ON-OFF-OFF-ON-ON-??
The last switch setting depends on the control handle that you choose. The directions will list all your choises and the correct switch position

Now for the tach wire, I always ground it. If the truck is a standard, I will fabricate a clutch switch. Sorry I don't have a picture right now. I use a normally open switch, the purple wire from the cruise goes to one side of the switch, the other side of the switch goes to the brake switch. So when the clutch is depressed, the cruise shuts off

Last edited:

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
OK I'm tired of logging in every 10-minutes

innkeeperfred

Reaction score
Just out side Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cruise control

What do you mean when you say that the "Tach wire" you ground it? On the 2008 they now use the OSS wire for speed sensing and it comes off the Transmition as an yellow with ornage stripe.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I NEVER use the tach wire to maintain speed, way too erratic. Cruise performance would suck. Using the tach wire for speed control is what gave aftermarket cruise controls a bad name.

Any decent cruise control has the ability to use the Vehicles Speed Sensor ( VSS ) to maintain speed. This is the same wire that the factory cruise would use. The aftermarket cruise tach wire is typically used for over-rev protection, but it tends to be a problem with older cars and trucks. There are other methods for over-rev protection. Grounding the tach wire prevents mysterious, unexplainable cruise shut downs (learned this from experiance).

For your 08 Ranger that wire is located at the PCM. It should have three connectors, the middle connector will have the right wire on it in position 1. The wire will be a Purple/red wire. This wire will have a square wave pulse with a pulse rate of 8000 pulses per mile.

This wire will allow a criuse control to maintain speed with in + or - 1 mile per hour.

If your truck has a different color wire in position 1 of the middle plug of the PCM, please let me know. I like to keep my data base as up to date as possible

Last edited:

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
A friend at the local Ford Dealer just E-Mailed me and said the wire in the middle connector, position 1 looks Purple/orange to him. Who knows, Purple/Red or Purple/Orange, I'm really old and blind.

innkeeperfred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cruise control

2008 ford Ranger: number 1 position wire of the second plug PCM is a purple/orange? wire looks red to me to.
I've grounded the tack wire and re routed the speed senser wire to the above wire but still no cruise. I will now retrace all wires and their hook ups to ensure they are connecting properly.
Thanks alot for all the input. The $550.00 a local shop wanted to install a cruise is looking better all the time. I've been at this since June.
By the way I really love my Ranger even with all its little quirks. For a 2300cc 4 it really has a lot of torque and has no problem maintaining 130 kms or 80mph on the highway.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
He E-mailed me because he was dropping off a brand new (it had 32 miles on it) 08 Ranger.

The VSS as stated is in the middle plug, on the first pin. The Gray wire from the cruise goes there. (I'm assuming your cruise uses the same colors as mine)

This one has no cruise plug in the factory location, but it has a factory grounding point. I ground both the black (ground) and the blue (tach) wire there.

Notice that the ground and tach wire is soldered to a grounding lug.

Linkage on this truck is typical for most Rangers. Everything snaps into place.

Now check this, the red wire must have a constant source. This should be the first wire on your brake switch plug (sorry didn't write down the colors), the purple wire needs to go to the second position (I think it was Purple/White) on the brake switch plug.

The brown wire needs to go to the ignition switch, any switched source will work. I prefer the ACC wire. Don't remember the color, but from right to left it was the third wire on the bottom row of the plug.

What is the model number of your cruise?

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Thanks alot for all the input. The $550.00 a local shop wanted to install a cruise is looking better all the time. I've been at this since June.
WOW, thats a lot. I charge $379 + tax. That includes all parts (fully electronic cruise NOT vaccuum) and labor and a three year 36000 mile warranty.

Call Michael at www.thecruisecontrolstore.com to see if there is an installer in your area or go here to look for an installer
http://www.thecruisecontrolstore.com/shops.html (yes I'm listed there)

Last edited:

innkeeperfred

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cruise control

Thats what a limited local market will allow:nopityA:. Too bad your 4000 miles away. Your pricing seems real good.
Still haven't had any luck gitting it to work. Thanks for all the info though.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals