• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AOD shifting problems

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a Ford AOD out of a 1990 fullsize bronco that i used in my v8 swap in a 84 Ranger. It wont upshift out of 1st gear. Tried setting the TV pressure. Found 1 port on each side of the trans. With the gage hooked on and trans in park and neutral it will peg out the gage passed 100psi. Hooked the gage on the other port and it pegs out passed 100psi in park but in Neutral is shows 0 psi. Pulled on the kickdown cable and no readings changed on the gage. The only reading where it changed is when the trans is shifted from Park to Drive, the PSI goes down.

Any ideas here?
Which port is the one to use, drivers side or passenger?

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
thx for the link. Those instructions are almost identical to my Lokar instructions. My problem is that my TV pressure stays at 100psi and up when the TV lever is released completly. I assume the TV port is the one by the TV lever.

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Governor could possibly be stuck in the back of the trans. There is (i believe lettering that shows which is which on the ports)another tv port that measures in low pressure also for tv pressure like 8 psi and so on.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
are you sure you have the right port?

you dont want more then 30. what system are you using for the tv?

sound like its too late to me, was it working and then qit working or it never worked from the get? you may have messed it up in the v/b when you put it together.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
are you sure you have the right port?

you dont want more then 30. what system are you using for the tv?

sound like its too late to me, was it working and then qit working or it never worked from the get? you may have messed it up in the v/b when you put it together.

it was working just fine when it was in a 1990 fullsize bronco. I never took the trans apart. Bolted it in my Ranger. Idk whats up with it. I only saw 2 ports on the whole trans so i tested both of them. The port on the drivers side read 100psi + and the pass side port read 0 psi , both in neutral. BUT when i tried to increase the pressure by pulling on the TV cable, nothing happened on the gage. Im stumped. Should I pull the trans out and replace it?

stranger

Reaction score
there should be another port pass side near tail,side note,tv lever should be up and add a spring from lever to rear pan lip.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
what system are you using for the throttle valve?

is it carb, car efi, truck efi? there are a few setups for car, a few for truck and some different for carb. same principals but sometimes mix and match cause hell.

the tv port should have a "tv" cast in the trans right above it. on the pass side.

is it possible some water got in the unit during storage? that loves to hang up the v/b and governor in these. small amounts of water can cause alot of hell.

the valve body in stock form sux, and is why they have a bad rep. i generally build the units and at the very least do a 3/4 cb elimination so they work solidly before any swap or install, be it car or truck..

if your on the right port when you stroke the lever forward towards the engine it should zero back and increase forward.

i set it @ 35/40 with a 3/8 tube spacer as a starting point, then pull the spacer.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
what system are you using for the throttle valve?

is it carb, car efi, truck efi? there are a few setups for car, a few for truck and some different for carb. same principals but sometimes mix and match cause hell.

the tv port should have a "tv" cast in the trans right above it. on the pass side.

is it possible some water got in the unit during storage? that loves to hang up the v/b and governor in these. small amounts of water can cause alot of hell.

the valve body in stock form sux, and is why they have a bad rep. i generally build the units and at the very least do a 3/4 cb elimination so they work solidly before any swap or install, be it car or truck..

if your on the right port when you stroke the lever forward towards the engine it should zero back and increase forward.

i set it @ 35/40 with a 3/8 tube spacer as a starting point, then pull the spacer.

its a 302 carbed truck engine. The trans was never in storage , it came right out of the doner truck and into my ranger. My pressure on the pass side port is 0 psi but doesnt increase when the lever moves forward...Does this mean a valve is stuck?

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
and what do you mean by what throttle valve system? Its a lokar cable if thats what u meant.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
so its a holley carb? what braketry and cable you have, still using the truck bracket and lever on the trans?

the lokars i have used i adjusted the same way, just make sure its warm and off fast idle.

are you positive you have enough fluid?

you need to run through the gears on startup and fill, or was it never drained?

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
so its a holley carb? what braketry and cable you have, still using the truck bracket and lever on the trans?

the lokars i have used i adjusted the same way, just make sure its warm and off fast idle.

are you positive you have enough fluid?

you need to run through the gears on startup and fill, or was it never drained?
Edelbrock 650 4bbl. Lokar TV lever is what i used, ditched the stock lever. Lokar cable goes from the bottom of the carb bracket to the Lokar TV lever. Yes im positive fluid is full. It was drained and refilled. Ran through the gears to make sure.

Im just confused about why the trans isnt gaining pressure when the lever is moved. lol.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
i assume you have reverse....do a few slams and see if it pops.

go for rev @ 1800 with the brake on.

then get some black magic and add it to the fluid, sounds like its sticking.

hard to say, i would really need to see it. 100 psi is too much with the engine at idle in any case on the other port, only time it should be over 75 is in reverse. even then 100 is pretty high.

seems the governor may really be stuck, it may be worth the effort to pop the case off and clean it up. but likely its the pr valve or tv valve thats stuck. you have to drop the pan for them bastards.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals