• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AOD shifting problems

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
i assume you have reverse....do a few slams and see if it pops.

go for rev @ 1800 with the brake on.

then get some black magic and add it to the fluid, sounds like its sticking.

hard to say, i would really need to see it. 100 psi is too much with the engine at idle in any case on the other port, only time it should be over 75 is in reverse. even then 100 is pretty high.

seems the governor may really be stuck, it may be worth the effort to pop the case off and clean it up. but likely its the pr valve or tv valve thats stuck. you have to drop the pan for them bastards.

Yup i have reverse and it works perfect. Thx for the tips :icon_hornsup:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
oh yeah...disconnect the cable at the tranny and put a spring holding the lever back to do the r/d slams.

and see if it shifts with the cable sprung back....short ride...just enough to let it shift.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
oh yeah...disconnect the cable at the tranny and put a spring holding the lever back to do the r/d slams.

and see if it shifts with the cable sprung back....short ride...just enough to let it shift.
alright ill do that. ill pop the pan off too and make sure the 2 valves arent sticking.

Is the govenor valve right inside the case?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
yeah it will be self explanatory. but dont go digging into it too crazy unless to got a manual or vb kit with ya.

i moved north, and shitcanned a ton of tranny stuff, generally i keep aod v/b's and trannies around for the stangers, i have one 4x4 i think down there still in the back of a van and a low gearset 70 and oad that that will go in.

not sure if i have a full vb set or not...

at least before you could run down and grab something, i am in higgins lake now, and way out of range.:dntknw:

good luck i am going to sleep.

supergoalieman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Did you ever figure out the problem? I have the exact same problem with my AOD. My tv pressure is fine, I don't think thats the problem in my case. I'm about to pull off the tailhousing and see if I got a stuck governer. Let me know thanks.

jmcleek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Did you ever figure out the problem? I have the exact same problem with my AOD. My tv pressure is fine, I don't think thats the problem in my case. I'm about to pull off the tailhousing and see if I got a stuck governer. Let me know thanks.
You must be desprate to post in a 6 year old thread. If the tv presure is good , then you may have a valve stuck in the valve body try manuly shifting up and down several times.

88mudder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
this thread is super old and the truck has been sold years ago. But i will help. If it wont upshift out of 1st gear tighten the TV cable up until all the slack is out of it. That was my problem on my AOD. You will have to adjust it to your liking on how it shifts etc.

jmcleek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
if running carb with a lokar cabal add a helper spring to the trans end of the cabal ,the lokar spring tends to be weak.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals