• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2006 3.0 with misfires and running ruff multiple engine codes

MIke713

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hi Picked up a 2006 Ranger with the 3.0 l v6 133,000 on the clock check engine light is on , pulled codes po300,po301,po302 and po316 , truck has new plugs( autolite double platinums and a new coil pack , all plug wires are right , plugs are white and not wet when I pulled them. CHecked intake for any vaccum leaks with propane no change , no antifreeze in oil and radiator not low( losing and coolant) need to figure this problem out any leads would be appreciated.
I plan on replacing the plugs with Motorcraft plugs as I feel the autolites are not as good, also new wires and I am gonna have the coil pack checked out .
thanks in advance, Mike

MIke713

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
swapped coil pack with a known good pack still stumbles at low idle and over 3000 rpm almost like hitting a rev limitor chip
feeling more lioke it might be internal like head is bad

TxGasRacer

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected P0302 Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected P0303 Cylinder 3 Misfire Detected P0304 Cylinder 4 Misfire Detected P0316 Misfire Detected On Startup (First 1000 Revolutions)

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

Smackdillion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
it sounds to me like you are dealing with the exact same issue that I am having.

2004-2006 3.0L Vulcan Engines have this nasty little defect where the exhaust valves will go bad.

Long story short, you're probably going to need to replace both cylinder heads.

Refer to the attached Ford TSB. Perform a compression test on all cylinders then perform a leakdown test. Then cry a little at all the wrenching you are about to have to do.

Attachments

MIke713

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
UPDATE on my white whale!

Checked compression all cylinders at 130 to 155 psi, changed fuel filter ran Seafoam thru the tank , a little better, decided to sea foam the top end now running worse, got rid of the po 300, 301 and 316 codes but now a po171 and po 511 code. now I am showing a lean condition on the right bank checked fuel injectors all appear to be working correctly: , checked for a vacumm lean and found it at the leading edge of cylinder #1and front of intake , replaced gaskets and cleaned everything up good, now it starts better but still has a stumble and a very obnoxious smell coming out the exhause , not pulling any more codes but still running ruff, running out of Idieas any help would be great, btw taking it in to a garage to have it put on a top flight engine anilzer , Checked all vaccum lines and fittings :sad:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe egr valve?

What about the egr valve? Also, the best way to find vaccum leaks is to smoke test one. It is easy to do with a bottle and cigar/cigarette and a air blower. Look it up on you tube if you like. Propane doesn't work as well due to the fact that the computer can adjust fuel trims so quickly nowdays that it doesn't always cause a noticible difference in rpm or idle. Anyways, just thought I would throw the egr thing out there, but I'm just spitballing...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals