• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

cowl removal?

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I want to move my spotlights on my stinger up to the cowling in front of the windshield on my 87bii. How does one go about removing the section, drill out the spotwelds and go at it that way? Or is there an easier way? Any suggestions?

I'd go look for myself but I'm about 50miles away from my bii D: it is a sad day indeed...

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i'm looking at doing the same light mounting. i'm gonna be looking at it this evening. i'll let you know something if i remember to get back on here.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I would build a bracket that the light is attached to and then use self drilling screws to attach it to the cowl rather than try to take the cowl apart.

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I thought about a bracket and was actually going to make a hi-lift mount there with the lights. But I need to take the cowl off any way and clean out down in there. It keeps getting clogged with leaves and makes it to where water pours in through the passenger firewall when its raining. And its not a fun experience. I also would be able to neatly tuck the wiring away and run it under the hood instead of having it exposed.

So I'm gonna go this route and nock out two birds with, well, hopefully a drill and some screws lol.

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Any info on it? I finally made it home. And just got inside from trying to figure out how to get the job done.

Am I seriously going to have to pull the windshield? I mean come on Ford, WTF?? If so I'm gonna bend up some brackets and call it done I guess. I'm not pulling the windshield for better light placement.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I know what ya mean. I've looked and couldn't really figure it out. Immgonna make some brackets I guess. Or revise my lighting theory.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I do remember some one doing this to clean and repair rust under the cowl. I can't remember if it was this site though. From what I recall, they drilled all the spot welds, then cut about 1" in front of the windshield. They used a air tool to make a step in the metal so the new cowl would sit flush, then welded back up. Also they used a newer cowl with the round holes so debris wouldn't get in there as easily again. Hope this helps,

Richard

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Lol not doing all that to mount lights. I'll make some brackets or change plans. The other guy may go for it to clean his up.

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I made some brackets, and I hated how high the lights had to sit, so I ditched that effort. I ended up cutting the inside of the firewall for access holes. Then I drilled through the cowl and mounted the lights (it was a real Bit@h to get the bolt on the bottom ha ha) then I drilled a hole behind the light and coated my wire with some steel A/C wire coating, ran my wire through the new hole and grabbed it with a coat hanger. Then I made face plates out of an old washing machine my apartments were throwing away :) to cover the new holes in the firewall and screwed them in place so they are removable for access. Looks real clean. And it only took about an hour of work. And 45 mins of cleaning out the inside of the cowling ha ha. Luckily it was not rusted out, just crammed packed with leaves, acorns, and a fork? I also screwed some mesh screening in place to keep debree from getting inside. I'm happy with it so far and now I can actually use my lights, and not worry about crushing them on the rocks anymore. If I had internet I would post pics, but I'm on my phone so I can't put them up yet. Thanks for all the input guys. Any questions feel free. to ask, drive safe out there.

And 4.0Bii, that was a sweet deal you got on your bii. Good lookin rig, keep the updates comin on the forum.

jhammel85

U should post pics of what you did and how it ended out! I'm curious as to what youve done since I have some rust issues below my cowl on the inside..

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I will get pics up as soon as I can access a computer.
But as far as rust goes, this process isn't going to be to extremly helpfull, unless you have really small hands and a reeeaaallllyyyy tiny welder lol. I had just enough room to get one arm into the cowling, and only up to my elbow.

jhammel85

lol, gotcha. I was expecting bigger holes I guess.

Still curious though...sure others are too!

B2Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
id like to see how those lights look up there... post some pics when you can man!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I do remember some one doing this to clean and repair rust under the cowl. I can't remember if it was this site though. From what I recall, they drilled all the spot welds, then cut about 1" in front of the windshield. They used a air tool to make a step in the metal so the new cowl would sit flush, then welded back up. Also they used a newer cowl with the round holes so debris wouldn't get in there as easily again. Hope this helps,

Richard
There is one thing I know is if you don't think it's been done then Just look at Joel's build and you'll find he's likely done it.

http://www.broncoii-ranger.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=4784
Thanks, batman45.
I couldn't remember where I had read that. My memory wasn't exactly right, he didn't make a step in the metal in front of the window. And yes, Joel [Copykat] has done some extraordinary stuff to his b-II, every one who's into working on their own stuff should check out his build thread.

Richard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals