• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

10 mpgs???

92exploder4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It dosen't really move at idle, just when driving around, it get's really rough when it shifts into OD at about 48 MPH, but will quit at higher speeds or when I press the pedal a little more and it down shifts.

92exploder4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, got some updates on this.

I have been driving it to work for the past 2 days almost without issue, some power loss but otherwise ok, and I'm clocking about 275 miles so far without running out of gas.

Now, the bad. I left my wallet at work today and had to go back to work to get it, almost right after I got home, it has only been about ten minutes since I shut the truck off. Well, it was extremely hard to start, I had to keep my foot on the gas pedal until the idle smoothed out and it stayed running.

After that, it drove like complete shit. All the way there and back I was at almost a complete power loss going uphill, literally I could stomp the gas and wouldn't even hold my current speed (about 68 mph). So I got it home, scanned for codes, no codes, and looked underneath, and my catalytic converter was glowing red. Maybe it's trash??

Now, when I bought the truck, I was told the heads had been redone, by the PO and his father, who worked at the local Ford dealership as a Mechanic, so I though I was good. Now, if they didn't set the timing right, like, if they set it 180* backwards, could this also make the CAT glow? I have no real way to check the timing as I don't have a timing light (nor the know-how to use one), but is this a possibility?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
can the timing be "180 out" on an explorer? the timing is not adjustable..
i'd say the cat is stopped up, cut it off... or take it off and knock the honeycomb out of it

LHP

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, sounds like your cat is plugged.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lol, yup id fencpost the middle of that cat for now

92exploder4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I wasn't sure about the timing, I'm not very educated on the 4.0 yet...

Sounds like maybe I should just get a decent new exhaust, we don't have emissions here, so no cats = no problem!

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I wasn't sure about the timing, I'm not very educated on the 4.0 yet...

Sounds like maybe I should just get a decent new exhaust, we don't have emissions here, so no cats = no problem!
The CAT thing is federal. Unless you live outside the US, it's a problem. Maybe not for billybob at the local garage but it's not legal.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
But without emissions test who is gonna know? I'm not saying break the law at all. I'm about to redo my exhaust with cats and a muffler. But he's right. It's federal from what I've heard else where.

92exploder4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I understand it's federal, but I'm not the first one to run a car without a catylitic converter, hell, most people who own a mustang run a catless h pipe. I don't beleive the FBI is going to knock on my door asking me to see my converter. It will only be a temporary thing anyway, I'm gonna gut it out until I can have my exhaust completely re-done.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals