• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New to me 1994 ranger extended cab

cardana24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys,
I joined this site years ago when I was doing an engine swap in my father-in-laws truck. Now I have a ranger of my own. I picked up this 1994 Ranger 4.0 5-speed, a little less than a week ago. The plan is to get it into good reliable shape and then sell my 1 ton ford truck. The truck currently runs and drives okay. The shifter is extremely sloppy (feels like you have to move the shifter a foot to the right to get into third), so I have ordered the shifter busing kit. It needs at least two tires, a side view mirror and some random body parts. The interior has no carpet and now has no radio because I pulled it out because someone wired everything direct bypassing all of the stock wiring...and the wiring was not hid well. Here are a few pics of what I am working with. I will use this thread to document progress and ask my random questions:headbang:

Not sure what the standard rear axle is in these trucks, but according to my door sticker is have an R6 axle, which according to google is a 8.8 limited slip axle with the 3.73 gears

Does anyone know what the correct radio adaptor is to install an aftermarket radio with a truck that has the factory amp? I had an aftermarket radio installed in the truck. How do you know if the truck has the factory amp option? Where would the amp be located?

I will also need to replace the clutch soon. I was going to go with Exedy. Anyone have any advice on this?

Anyone close to central VA that has a 93-97 parts truck that is the same color green (DA) then please let me know. I could use a fender, mirror, grille, some other small exterior and interior parts.

From searching around it seems that no one make factory fog light brackets. Is the only option still making something up or finding a used set? My truck has the fog light switch, relay and wiring installed so I would like to add the lower valance but I will need some brackets too.

Also, the truck is 4x4 but 4x4 does not work. It has manual locking hubs with the push button switch over the radio. When I push the button nothing happens. From looking around it seems that I need to take the motor off of the side of the transfer case and clean it...or is there more to it than that? Is there a write up on that?

This truck is meant to be something to run around on the weekend to lowes and the dump. It will never be super fancy, but I would like to get it in a littler better shape. Comments and advice are welcome.

Last edited:

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
seems that the general sensuous on the forms is to use luk or sachs, clutch components.

looks like a nice truck, does look like someone got lazy and just broke off all the clips, then had to screw the dash back together. some people need to pay attention to detail.

cardana24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
also, what headlights are the best option? I need to replace mine before inspection. I would like something that has a clearer lenses but don't want something crazy looking. What are you all doing for replacement headlights?

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Take a 2 LB hammer to the truck and you would have the Rat. I would give the frame and brake lines a good look. When I R+Red the clutch. I went with new everything from the rear main seal to the pedal arm. I used a LUK rep set. I went into the deal figuring I would just put in a rebuilt clutch disc and stuff Nah ah. I'm up into 2K$ parts. I had to have the 5 spd replaced because the shifter fork broke.The piece dropped into the gears. It wiped out every gear but 4th and cracked the case. This is not a rare occurrence I have learned. This is what happens when you put a car transmission into a truck. I never once lunched a std trans til now. :D

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Should be a nice truck

And yes there is a write up on the shift motor check the tech library its in there

The amp I would imagine would be behind the seat

cardana24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
if you want stock...

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,1994,ranger,4.0l+v6,1137989,body,headlamp+assembly,10762?a=Referer+www.google.com+URL+/en/catalog/ford

we also have a rockauto section in the forums here, usually there is a discount code in there.
I have tons of rockauto discount codes. They actually send me a Christmas card I spend so much with them every year. I know where to get stock replacements, I am more wondering about the aftermarket options since it seems they have a clearer lens. Are any of them made of glass or are they all plastic?

Take a 2 LB hammer to the truck and you would have the Rat. I would give the frame and brake lines a good look. When I R+Red the clutch. I went with new everything from the rear main seal to the pedal arm. I used a LUK rep set. I went into the deal figuring I would just put in a rebuilt clutch disc and stuff Nah ah. I'm up into 2K$ parts. I had to have the 5 spd replaced because the shifter fork broke.The piece dropped into the gears. It wiped out every gear but 4th and cracked the case. This is not a rare occurrence I have learned. This is what happens when you put a car transmission into a truck. I never once lunched a std trans til now. :D
I plan on doing the rear main seal and exhaust while I have the trans down. I will also replace the slave cylinder at a minimum. Did you use the Luk stock replacement stuff?
Should be a nice truck

And yes there is a write up on the shift motor check the tech library its in there

The amp I would imagine would be behind the seat
Thanks, I'll check out the tech library.

Is there anyway to tell if your truck had the factory amp option by just looking at the plugs coming out of the dash?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Plan on replacing the shift rail plugs on the transmission while you have it out. You can use 5/8" steel freeze plugs and they are $1 each at NAPA.

Rex2nr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have used Exedy on my Hondas and been very happy. I put a Luk in my Ranger last year. Luk is an OEM Ford supplier. The disk I replaced was stamped Ford and Luk.

cardana24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Plan on replacing the shift rail plugs on the transmission while you have it out. You can use 5/8" steel freeze plugs and they are $1 each at NAPA.
Okay, thanks for the advice. For some reason I thought that was a 4cyl tran problem...so it pertains to the 4.0 trans too?

I have used Exedy on my Hondas and been very happy. I put a Luk in my Ranger last year. Luk is an OEM Ford supplier. The disk I replaced was stamped Ford and Luk.
Yeah, that's why I was thinking exedy, is because most of my vehicles have been imports and that is the standard stock replacement. Good to know about Luk, did you just get the cheapest stock replacement offered?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Okay, thanks for the advice. For some reason I thought that was a 4cyl tran problem...so it pertains to the 4.0 trans too?

Yeah, that's why I was thinking exedy, is because most of my vehicles have been imports and that is the standard stock replacement. Good to know about Luk, did you just get the cheapest stock replacement offered?
Yes, all the Ranger/Explorer M5OD transmissions have the shift rail plug issue.

Luk clutches are just fine, I have put in a bunch of them. Also used Exedy and Brute Force, probably some others too.

cardana24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I got the shifter bushings replaced yesterday and once I got the truck back into neutral it made a huge difference. There were no bushings at all left in the truck.

Does anyone know the part number for the shift rail plugs? I know most people just use freeze plugs but I wanted to see if the actual parts are available while I have the shifter plate off and everything is easy to get to.

I also went to the junkyard over the weekend and got most of the stuff that I need. Time to put some lip stick on the pig.

cardana24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I replaced the right side mirror that was broken off the truck when I bought it. But when I put it on I realized that the sheet metal got bent some not allowing it to seat properly.

So I pulled it back off and went to town with the hammer. Much better.

Then I starter working on the windows. They kept coming off track. Well this did not help. This rail had rusted off on both sides.

The rails had rusted away from the mounting points.

So I scraped them down and then sprayed them with rust converter stuff.

Drilled out the mounting points.

Then riveted the rails back to the mounts and put the pads back in.

I put them back in, but I had not done anything further. Hopefully I will get some time this weekend to mess with it.

cardana24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I got the new window regulators in and I can get the windows all the way up now, but it is still not the way it should be. The driver side window get cockeyed when it is about 6" from the top. It seems that maybe replacing the bushing on the center window guide may help. Does anyone know if we can get this replacement busing?

Then I started working on other stuff. I took the transfer case shift motor apart and cleaned it. I have not had a chance to put it back on so I am not sure if 4x4 is working yet.

Then I started pulling front end parts off to change out broken stuff for parts I got at the junkyard/ordered in.

Here is what I started with.

Part of the messed up header panel

header panel removed.

Fender taken off

These bushings are rotted, where are you all getting replacements?

This ground wire has broken away from its grounding point. This is directly in front of the driver seat (my carpet is removed). Does anyone know what this ground is for?

cardana24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I repaired that ground wire pictured above, and I also cleaned my transfer case shift motor. Now I have working 4x4.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals