• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bent or warped carrier? 8.8

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I know I have been jabbering non stop about what I want to do, and dreams of big power, but that has been while I am at school. I am under a lot stress while attending nursing school. College is hard when you been out of the loop for awhile. Now that I have time to work on my project I have ran into a problem. I am working on installing 4.56 gears into a 8.8. I am about to finish and I am setting the backlash now. I see a problem. My ring gear has a small gap between the gear and the carrier. I removed the ring gear and re-torqued the bolts to see if the gear was just setting on it badly. Nope, there still is a very small gap on on side of my carrier. Is it possible that my carrier got bent?
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
and here is the side without a gap.
[/IMG] I have taken the ring gear off and there wasn't any blemishes on the gear itself or the carrier. So I guess it is time to order a full spool? or is this ok

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
[/IMG] It looked fine on the inside, just had that gap

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I have an 8.8 apart in the garage, but I'm too lazy to go out and look tonight.

edit:
had a chance to look, your tone ring is on correctly.

Last edited:

LilBJessup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
tone ring? This is an 8.8 from a 1st gen explorer with drum breaks. It does have the one plug at the top but I have never heard of a tone ring.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The plug is for a speed sensor for the abs system. It is looking for the teeth on that plate behind the ring gear. The plate with the teeth on it is called a tone ring.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
if you suspect the carrier is bad, check it with the dial indicator.

did you heat the ring gear ?

since most of us don't have machinists dye laying around, I use a magic marker to check fitment and clearance issues. its a very thin film and cleans off easily.
if the ring is able to spin on the carrier that will show hi and low spots on either surface.

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It is far far more likely that the tone ring is slightly warped or machined imperfectly than the carrier is bent. The carrier is pretty much solid metal. I can literally turn that tone ring into a taco with my bare hands.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
it could be excess metal from tapping the ring gear holes, also could be thread locker holding the gear up. I usually run a stone over the back of a new ring gear to see if there are any high spots after I chase out the threads for ring gear bolts. I also check for run out on the back side of the gear before I even attempt trying to set gears up.

ABS tone rings are just barely on there, they are a pretty light press fit around the outside of the carrier and can move around a bit. If your run out on the gear is a couple thousandths or less on the gear, I wouldn't worry though. Sometimes the finish on carriers and housings, especially on older stuff can be on the rough side and really mess with your eyes.

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
It is real unlikely your carrier would bend. It’s cast iron, it more likely crack if that were the case. In order to run a full spool on an 8.8 you need a c clip eliminator kit, which is not ideal in a wheeler, c clips are stronger when it comes to side loading. Those eliminator kits are meant for mustangs and drag cars. Either way don’t worry about how the tone ring sits, just make sure the ring gear is flat on the carrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
it could be excess metal from tapping the ring gear holes, also could be thread locker holding the gear up. I usually run a stone over the back of a new ring gear to see if there are any high spots after I chase out the threads for ring gear bolts. I also check for run out on the back side of the gear before I even attempt trying to set gears up.

ABS tone rings are just barely on there, they are a pretty light press fit around the outside of the carrier and can move around a bit. If your run out on the gear is a couple thousandths or less on the gear, I wouldn't worry though. Sometimes the finish on carriers and housings, especially on older stuff can be on the rough side and really mess with your eyes.

Just curious, how do you go about checking runout of a loose ring gear? What kind of a jig do you got lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals