• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Non flex-fuel 3.0 into flex-fuel Ranger

pianoman99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L F/F
Transmission
Manual
I have a 99 Flex-Fuel Ranger with a seized engine (from a CMP gear failure). I bought a 2007 non-Flux-Fuel Taurus 3.0L Vulcan. As I have already learned from the forums, I will be changing the head gaskets to a RWD type and I will be using all of my accessories including intake manifolds and injectors.

My question: I understand that the non-Flex-Fuel heads are different from the Flex-Fuel ones. I would really like to use the Taurus heads because the engine has only 14K miles on it. Should I bite the bullet and get my original heads rebuilt or can I use the Taurus heads? I never have or plan to use E85.

kawasakiman27

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 F/F
Transmission
Automatic
Just keep the non flex heads and don't use e85 ever again. My 99 flex has 2001 non flex heads and works fine.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The 07 heads will work fine, I did that on my 02, Mine are even ported & polished heavily. They will be fine. As for running e-85, it should not hurt anything either as you have the ECU to control spark & fuel.

JP02XLT

pianoman99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L F/F
Transmission
Manual
Thanks! I will be using the new Taurus heads.

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The flex fuel heads would be worth the rebuild. They have a smaller chamber which increases the compression a bit, which is necessary for the use of E85. If you ever plan on using E85 in the future, spend the $$$ on the FFV heads.

If you decide not to rebuild the heads, maybe you and I can make a deal.....

:icon_cheers:

Rob

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals