• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 sohc swap into 3.0 flex fuel truck

gabes5.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 ranger off road 4x4 3.0 felx fuel and i've almost completely swap a 2000 4x4 explorer 4.0 sohc engine/trans /t-case just worried about the wiring because its a CA truck. What will I be dealing with?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
you need the entire 4.0 wiring harness and PCM. there may also be fuel system differences depending on what system ford put in your original flex fuel arrangement (there were 2 systems used for detecting alchohol content in the fuel, one uses modified fuel lines, the other doesnt).

mikepotts

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
imho... THE SOHC MOTORS ARE NOTHING BUT TROUBLE! i had a 1997 sport with the sohc, only 90,000 miles, lost tension on the tensioners and wiped out the cam chains! terrible design! my brother has been a technician for 25 yrs. at a major ford dealer in the philly area, he says the 4.0 sohc's are one of the biggest mistakes yet!

gabes5.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have all the engine harness and pcm for the 4.0 and it all plugged in to the truck but there are two extra plugs left on the truck in the drivers side fire wall and no plugs left on the 4.0 harness. I fuel lines plugged right in and there is only one sensor in the fuel line. my biggest worry is the harness under the driver side floor pan because the plug for the t-case is different and it looks like the speed sensor for the 4.0 t-case is on the t-case and the speed sensor for the 3.0 was on the rear end. So I thought just get that harness from a 4.0 and hope it works but the plug on the floor pan only has enough pins for the 3.0 harness. I also lost the key to the truck and need to get another one made but the key to my truck has that chip in it but so did the explorer so it should program fine right?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
both trucks should have had a speed sensor on the tcase and at the rear diff. was this exploere automatic 4wd i wonder?

the key should be OK. i dont know if the PATS system runs through the PCM or BCM, so you might try your ranger key and if that doesnt work, have a new key programmed using the explorer pcm.

gabes5.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yes the explorer was 4x4 auto, but my truck was 4x4 auto too.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
rangers dont have available automatic 4wd...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals