• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ranger Rick. 1987 Ranger

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Cool, I don't know anything about the 2wd's but 4wd's have different stops for the later knuckles. Might be a non-issue for 2wds though. :dntknw:

You mean the steering stops? I haven't really heard of any issues like that for 2wd. All I've read is that you need 89-97 beams (which I do) and (I think) 95-97 knuckles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You mean the steering stops? I haven't really heard of any issues like that for 2wd. All I've read is that you need 89-97 beams (which I do) and (I think) 95-97 knuckles.

Yeah, steering stops.

I know it is a thing on TTB, if they used the same beams from 89-97 it probably won't be an issue for you. :icon_thumby:

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yeah, steering stops.

I know it is a thing on TTB, if they used the same beams from 89-97 it probably won't be an issue for you. :icon_thumby:

I think that it should be okay. The DJM beams I have don't seem like they actually have any sort of steering stops.
I currently have 1989 knuckles in there and the only difference I can think of between the 89 and 97 is that they use a different caliper mount.

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

I went to the junkyard looking for a transmission and engine but ended up getting some parts from an F-100. I have an electric choke in my mailbox and I'll be ordering some other parts for the distributor. I'm planning on painting the valve covers soon. I'm pretty happy that I found those too. I've always liked the older Powered by Ford covers. I kinda want to paint them black with white lettering. I think that they will look good on the 302 that will eventually be under the hood.

Since I have so many parts to get and I'd like to have the truck running this summer: I've been going pretty cheap with some parts then upgrading down the road.

I'm also thinking of changing the tail lights to an F 100 style . It would take some metal working and that actually sounds really fun.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
The old F100 tail lights would be cool.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Not too much of an update yet. I'm back in school and also waiting on a hip surgery that will take a good long time to recover from.

I have confirmed that the 2.3 engine and ECU that I have are for an 83 SVO, someone just took the turbo off of it. So it'll never run properly without the turbo.

I pulled the valve cover off expecting doom and gloom but it's actually incredibly clean in there. I may do a leak down test and see if I have a burnt valve or something.

If it's good I may rebuild the head with a new cam, roller rockers and springs.
The more I learn the more I'm thinking that I should get a cheap turbo and redo the wiring harness. It'd be a pain to do the wiring but I know I can do it provided I have a good diagram.

I'm also going to be entering an auto body program in the fall. So this little truck is going to be getting some good attention. Probably going to get a much better paint job than it is really worth.

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Little bit of an update here. I pulled the engine and transmission out.
Ingenious I separated the engine from the transmission I could tell right away that the rear main had been leaking for a long time. No worries since I'll be replacing just about every single seal.

I pulled the head off. To my surprise the cylinders look amazing. I'm not sure when but this was recently rebuilt. The pistons are really clean and the cylinder walls even have a cross hatch to them.

I tore apart the head and things started to make sense. One lifter was broken. Two valves were pretty stuck. And all my exhaust valve seats are pretty pitted.
I dropped it off at a machinist yesterday and he is going to take a look at if the head is viable or not. I talked about putting in some new cam bearings, cleaning it up, and possibly drilling for new valve guides and larger valves. I emailed BoPort about my build ideas and asked for their advice on whether I should stick with the stock valves if I don't want to port and polish my heads just yet. Also wondering if I should go with their 1.5 cam. Which when it comes up would be flying. All this on the stock ECU.

I may try and do a home port and polish on my own instead of paying someone to do it. Seems like it's just using common sense and having a whole lot of time.

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Bo got back to me really quickly and confirmed a bunch of my thoughts. Now I'm just waiting for my machinist to get back to me. Depending on how much it'll cost me determines if I port out the combustion camber and go for larger valves and a 1.9 or 2.1 cam or if I stick with stock valves and 1.5 cam.

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The machinist called and let me know that my exhaust seats are cracked but reparable.

I went ahead and ordered some stock diameter BoPort valves with my valve train kit (valves, springs, retainers, and locks) and new seals.

I'll be doing new cam bearings (cost depends on if I go with the grooved ones or not and need some more machining.)

I hope that they weren't expecting me to order valve seats. Worst case I'll tag that into another BoPort order.

I'm going to be slowly buying my top end kit. Over time it'll be really nice.
Lots to do and buy on this.
Considering what color paint I should go with. Body work is probably going to be what sucks up most of my time going forward. Mechanically, I don't need (key word) to do much other than assemble everything with new seals and start cleaning up wiring/ figure out what's missing.

Last edited:

OkayKafka

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Any Update

Thats a badass truck hope u still have it.

Thanks.
It’s been a very long time since I’ve worked on the truck. I do still have it. Just been sitting while I’ve been deciding what to do with it. My heart says keep building it. Maybe do some crazy fabrication stuff on it as a way to teach myself.

Right now I’m planning on building this still. I’m closing on a house that has a nice size shop. I’ll be bringing the truck and my other project (1973 Volvo 1800) with me. The trucks at my parents and it’ll stay there until I have the shop in a better place and I can go see my folks during this pandemic.

Still going to be working with the 2.3l turbo engine: which means I have to go ahead and finish up the machine work I was doing and finally have my machinist finish my head. He’s been holding onto some nice Boport parts. I owe him money and a six pack at this point.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals