• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bad PCV Valve!!!!

hilltopfarm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/2.9L
Transmission
Manual
OK,

So my PCV valve went bad on my 03 fx4 ranger. I noticed that this had happened when oil started to drip out of the intake manifold. I took off the PCV valve and oil dripped out of the vacuum line going to it.:icon_surprised: I then took off the air cleaner hose going into the intake manifold, also took off the throttle body so that I could look into the manifold. I saw that the inside of it was coated with oil and there was a puddle of oil sitting at the very bottom of the manifold waaaay in the back of it:annoyed:. My question is this: What should I do now? Take the intake manifold off to mop up the oil??? Could that oil getting in there have harmed my engine???

Thanks for any advice!!

-- Anthony

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I say just replace the PCV valve and run the engine it will cook off the oil. The oil should not harm anything inside the motor.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Is your PCV bad or do you have excessive blow by? Does the PCV rattle? Can you blow through it one way but not the other?

hilltopfarm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Is your PCV bad or do you have excessive blow by? Does the PCV rattle? Can you blow through it one way but not the other?
The valve rattled when I took it out. You can only blow out through the valve. It does seem to operate normally. I do not understand why there would be all the oil coming out of it unless the valve was bad...

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
It doesn't hurt to throw a new one in, but it sounds like the old one is operating properly.

How many K on your truck? As mileage goes up, so does wear, allowing blow by past the rings.

hilltopfarm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/2.9L
Transmission
Manual
There is 125,000 Miles on the truck.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
At 125k there shouldn't be a lot of blow-by.
Oil in the intake won't "harm" the engine, but may foul the spark plugs, causing misfires.

Blow-by happens on all piston engines, it is normal.
Every time a cylinder fires some of the "gas" pressure is pushed by the piston's rings and into the crankcase, where it mixes with the oil vapor.
As piston rings get older(worn) blow-by increases.
The type of oil you use and the time between changes can increase the amount of oil vapor, so blow-by is the same but there is more oil in vapor form in the engine, causing excessive oil in the PCV.

There is usually a second vent tube that will run from the valve cover(or oil fill tube) to the air filter or air plenum tube running to the intake.

If PCV seems OK check the second tube, it helps relieve excess pressure, it could be blocked or full of oil residue.

Last edited:

hilltopfarm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L/2.9L
Transmission
Manual
OK, Thanks for the advice RonD. I will check the other tube and see if it is blocked. I ordered a new PCV valve and will install it next week.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Just change the PCV with oil changes or spark plugs if not working correct it can be a direct vacuum leak, also clean /replace your breather filter it allows fresh filtered air into the crankcase when the pcv is working correct. If the PCV dont work do leakdown/vacuum tests valve guide seals and rings would be suspect. Shaking or cleaning a PCV is useless just change it they are cheap.

aspevacek

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
The system is workign fine on his truck I am almost sure. Ford has not made provisions on these engines to allow oil to drain back into the pan. Alot of European makers have set up oil drainback to the pan becaus of modern engines being SEALED for emissions. That is the reason for the oil ending up in the top end to begine with. If the oil in the intake bothers some one bad enough the can up a catch can in the line between the intake and the PCV valve and just drain it off every couple of oil changes. Pull the intak on just about any modern engine will result in oil catching in the plenum. In the old days the PCV and oil breatherrs would feed into the air cleaner houosing and remember the big oil spots on the air filter? That air filter would absorb it and you would never thing about it again, Well here we have it going into the intake where it is not looked at once every few months. so it seems like a lot when it is discovered but actually it is next to nothing.

baja619

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
America Bless God
Hola, I have been trying to resolve an issue and now I am here hoping to recieve some clarification and specifics.

I too have found oil deushing out into my intake. I was told it was likely related to the PCV Valve. I first went and bought a replacement and than went home to dissembled everything and replace the unit.

I quickly found out that the part I was trying to replace did not match up with what I had purchased.

I see that the one I purchased on the right (made by AC Delco) is likely to replace this unit here; (OEM Ford part)

and is to be installed here in the driver side facing the firewall....

My question is what the heck is the piece that I pulled out that feeds a tube into my intake? This black part here on the left.

Anyone know what to call this by name and have a Ford OEM Part#?

baja619

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
America Bless God
Also the black one that I pulled out of the crank case on the passanger side, had no guts in it and I could drop a sharpie right through it. To me it appears to be busted and I have no idea where the function elements are...

please help.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals