• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Pickup bed rust

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Hello All,

I have been noticing that there has been more rust popping up on my truck over the last few years. I live in NJ which uses roadsalt and brine from December to March even when there is no snow lol. I have tried to do some cleaning and painting with the pickup bed on but it doesn't seem to hold up. My plan is to remove the pickup bed so I can clean / paint the entire underside of the bed and access the rear portion of the frame real easy.

I was considering using Eastwood's Rubberized Rust Encapsulator on the frame after I knock off any rust. (The rust isn't bad, but I want to nip it in the bud).

As for the pickup bed, most of the rust is on the supports that run the width of the bed, however I was considering coating the entire underside of the bed to prevent any future rust. The pickup bed sides and underneath are rust free.

My main reason for posting is to find out what coatings / treatments people have used in the past. If the eastwood coating would hold up or if Herculiner would work better, or even something else. Any advice would be appreciated.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No personal experience here.
My reading indicates do NOT use a bedliner product as it will trap water with the first scratch and hides the rust that forms.
I think a rust converter and paint, then use fluid film every fall spraying liberally.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Look into "corroseal" I'm in NJ too so I feel your pain lol. Corroseal isn't a paint or coating it's a rust converter but you can just brush it on a rusty spot even on painted body parts and it will turn the rust to a black coating and not effect the paint. After you can just leave it or its fully primed for any actual paint/coating.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Rust is the same chemical reaction as Fire, oxidation, just a slower process so you can't roast marshmallows over an open rusting frame, well you could but would be there a few years and marshmallows still wouldn't cook :)

Rust is oxidation of the metal, direct contact of oxygen to the metal is needed, which is why painted metal parts don't rust as easily.
Water and minerals(salts) allow oxidation to happen faster, but bare metal will rust without it, just takes longer.

A Rust converter should be used on any spots with rust, its not safe for painted parts, or living things, lol, so use gloves and watch where the run off goes
Tannic acid and phosphoric acid are usual ingredients
These chemically react with the rust and change it to an inert iron compound so rusting stops but it will come back unless metal is primed and painted, prevents contact with oxygen again.

Coca-cola has phosphoric acid in it, it is a popular way to remove rust spots from chrome or painted surfaces, not a strong solution of course, lol, so not for frames or larger metal areas

Primer sticks to metal, paint won't
Primer is not durable, paint is
Paint sticks to primer...........
So prime surface, then paint

Last edited:

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Just thought I’d throw my 2 cents in here, since I’m about to be replacing my cab floors. I too live in the salt belt and I too feel your pain. Especially since buying my current Ranger.

At Dirtman’s suggestion, I looked into Corroseal rust converter and it seems pretty legit. One thing that kind of sold me on it is the fact that their website claims it’s water-based and totally safe for humans and the environment (provided no one drinks it or something). Here’s their website for ya: http://www.corroseal.com/rust/convert-rust.aspx.

After cured, I was planning to use a product called POR-15 (I think it’s a competitor to Eastwood that I heard about here). Just to seal things up nice and permanent-like. The one thing I was going to do first was to contact POR-15 and made sure that it will bond over metal that’s been converted by Corroseal. Their site is here, if you’re interested: https://www.por15.com/Rust-Preventive-Coating_c_11.html

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Thanks for the replies. I have attached a few pictures of the frame and bed and highlighted some of the worst spots. I may actually have to replace some of the cross sills since they are fairly corroded from the damn heat shields Ford stuck to the bed. From what I have seen so far, probably the three closest to the cab of the truck will have to be replaced. From my phone calls to various dealers it seems Ford has stopped making them. Any ideas as far as replacement would be welcomed. I am good with mechanical and electrical, but metal and bodywork are a little beyond my skill set.

I am going to look into the corroseal, it seems like it may be just what I am looking for as far as a primer/coating for the rust before I paint. I was thinking of using some type of undercoating to topcoat the entire underside of the bed.

Por 15 is actually made/sold by the Eastwood company, but it seems to require rusty metal to start off and since most of the bed is pretty rust free, I dont think I will use it.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals