• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A/C not working, Compressor comes on when jumped

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Correct, had to jump it to start pulling fluid in. Compressor squealed like a pig. Figuring bad compressor, what else do you think I should take a look at? Thanks for your help!
Every O ring in the system, expansion valve, orifice tube, compressor, dryer, condenser, high and lo pressure lines, and evaparator. Replace those first.

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Every O ring in the system, expansion valve, orifice tube, compressor, dryer, condenser, high and lo pressure lines, and evaparator. Replace those first.
:icon_rofl: Alright alright, I catch your drift. Thanks for the help.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Alright alright, I catch your drift. Thanks for the help.
Im just ball busting dont take offense lol, but kinda serious... Once an AC sits dry for that long they just tend to rot from the inside out. I'm not an hvac expert but seen a ton of people spend fortunes trying to fix old AC systems like yours and in the end it goes one of 2 ways.... Giving up and removing the AC system, or completely rebuilding from condensor to evaporator.

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Im just ball busting dont take offense lol, but kinda serious... Once an AC sits dry for that long they just tend to rot from the inside out. I'm not an hvac expert but seen a ton of people spend fortunes trying to fix old AC systems like yours and in the end it goes one of 2 ways.... Giving up and removing the AC system, or completely rebuilding from condensor to evaporator.
None taken, I was afraid of that. Hoping I’d get lucky. This is my hunting truck, heat works great. My commuter car needs a lot of work (2-3 weeks worth) Looking to escape the heat on the way home from work, might just have to tough it out.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I would first determine if the compressor is still good, easy enough to do.

At the very least, replace all the refrigerant lines, they're just not that expensive, you get new shrader connections, and they come with O-rings. Also, get a new orifice, red or green both work.

There's a good chance most of the oil from the compressor is in the accumulator and the compressor sump small as it is, may be dry. the squealing you heard may have been the clutch, belt, or both on the compressor.

The only thing I did not replace on my truck was the compressor.

Golfdonwon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Keep on truckin!
Relay?

Mine was a bad relay.

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Pulled a vacuum, and was only able to hold at 20in. I first used the vacuum to pull some PAG oil with dye, then pushed a can of refrigerant. I turned AC on and compressor short cycled rapidly.. the truck actually died from the compressor draw. I revved the truck up at the throttle body and added 2 more cans of refrigerant until the short cycling stopped and compressor cycled on and off normally.

Compressor makes a bit of noise and might not last too long, but the ice cold air will freeze you out of the truck! I couldn’t believe it.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Pulled a vacuum, and was only able to hold at 20in. I first used the vacuum to pull some PAG oil with dye, then pushed a can of refrigerant. I turned AC on and compressor short cycled rapidly.. the truck actually died from the compressor draw. I revved the truck up at the throttle body and added 2 more cans of refrigerant until the short cycling stopped and compressor cycled on and off normally.

Compressor makes a bit of noise and might not last too long, but the ice cold air will freeze you out of the truck! I couldn’t believe it.
Apparently you didn't listen to anyone in this thread. A amateur asking questions, reading and learning how a A/C system works and then working on it themselves and actually getting it to work? It's impossible for that to happen. Congratulations.

I would suspect you have a leak somewhere. It may cool all summer, and need a can of freon next year. R134a is cheap, a can a year is not bad for A/C. If it doesn't last that long, the leak is larger. You can start investigating where that might be, while you are enjoying the A/C for as long as it lasts.

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Apparently you didn't listen to anyone in this thread. A amateur asking questions, reading and learning how a A/C system works and then working on it themselves and actually getting it to work? It's impossible for that to happen. Congratulations.

I would suspect you have a leak somewhere. It may cool all summer, and need a can of freon next year. R134a is cheap, a can a year is not bad for A/C. If it doesn't last that long, the leak is larger. You can start investigating where that might be, while you are enjoying the A/C for as long as it lasts.
Rough crowd, now that’s it’s working I’m going to enjoy it. The pag oil has dye so I’ll be looking around. Although I agree, lucky!

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I read the tech article and resurrected my a/c. Rolling down the window does doesn't help when its 112F....I just didn't drive it in the summer.

I didn't replace everything, but did get a new compressor, o ring kit and accumulator/orifice tube. The lines looked good, as did my condenser.

My first attempt adding freon using gauges failed.

My buddy does HVAC, he added the freon by weighing it in according to what we found on sticker labels and online (I think it was 36oz). After that it blew ice cold. He had a big tank of R143a, and set it on a HVAC scale tared out.

golley

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
look, if the system leaked that bad, air got in. you have to fix the leak and pull a vacuum on it before adding the gas. also, if you lost oil you have to pull the compressor, drain it and add new oil first. and hope the dessicant bag in the accumulator (the silver tank) is good and didn't bust. if the switch had just been bad, you jump it and the ac runs fine, of course.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals