• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Most efficient way to gain HP with the 4.0L V6?

Warmblood58

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Maintain it dammit!
Hello all, so far I am enjoying my '93 4x4 XLT with the 4L SOHC V6. It never fails to start quickly, fires almost immediately, but the power produced is somewhat underwhelming. Truck is tuned perfectly (135,000 miles) and runnning on Amsoil - pretty dry engine too - no leaks, runs nice and cool here in Northern California with 90 degree temps. I would love to pick up 30hp or better -most efficient way to do so? Thanks!

truckerdawg

Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4"
Tire Size
31X10.50
Efficient? That is a tough question. Camshafts reground and heads reworked-will get you there. Turbo will more than get you there. Nothing else will. Supercharger will get the job done. 30+HP

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Efficient? That is a tough question. Camshafts reground and heads reworked-will get you there. Turbo will more than get you there. Nothing else will. Supercharger will get the job done. 30+HP
I’ve always wondered how much work it would be to put a turbo on this engine and where to find the parts... :icon_confused:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I’ve always wondered how much work it would be to put a turbo on this engine and where to find the parts... :icon_confused:
Remote mount turbo kit is probably the easiest. Problem is without forged internals your engine won't last long under more than 4 or 5 PSI, and that is barely worth doing the turbo work.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Glue on hood scoop, hole in the muffler = sounds like it has power, looks cool = saved you a bundle

rangerenthiusiast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Remote mount turbo kit is probably the easiest. Problem is without forged internals your engine won't last long under more than 4 or 5 PSI, and that is barely worth doing the turbo work.
Annnnnnnnnd so ends that potential project. :icon_rofl:

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Super Six Motorsports if you want to spend a butt-ton of cash.
More efficient use of money is a bored TB from Zabteck, tuner from Unleashed Tuning, and a cat-back exhaust.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I would argue the most efficient use of money would be to buy a 5.0 from a wrecked explorer, do the swap and sell the 4.0.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Hello,

Though this thread is a couple days old and the OP may have given, here is are some answers (a small twist may be afoot):

1. Remove the cracnkcase driven fan. While I openly admit this does not I crease the engine power or performance, it does reduce the load felt by the engine significantly. For these Ford 60° V6's, it is the easiest, cheapest way to gain some miles per gallon and some if the power and torque the boys and girls @ Ford engineered out. Pics available .). To cool the use of an electric fan or pair if fans will more than be suitable. They can be controlled automatically with a Thermo sensor or manually with a simple switch...and finger .)

2. Oil cooler. If you can reduce under the hood temperatures and increase your oil capacity, you will run cooler and make better power.

3. Used the best premium fuel around. When you burn more completely, you are saving money by getting farther on less.

Inspect your lifters and push rods. These 4.0 OHV's are prone to premature failure and wear do to poor oil circulation up top.

4. A good set of headers will help the engine realise more of it's potential. You can expect an honest solid 9-12.5% improvement.

5. To help those headers, rebuild your exhaust one size tubing larger. Ex, if you have a 2" system, build a 2¼" system .)

6. If you have done all if the above, then a nice cherry on the top is a little PCM massage (performance chip or programming).

7. The engine can also be rebuilt; clean all the casting, corners and burrs, polish the crank, balance the complete bottom end, port/polish the heads and intakes, wiff-up the throttle body.

+Balancing the bottom end will provide a non-deminishing 10% improvement in power and torque.
+P/P the heads with multi angle (as many as are appropriate) and flow match to the ported heads will yield approximately 20% improvement fir the heads and 7-12% for the intakes.
+Throttle body WIFF will yield a solid 2-3 hp across the rpm, that never goes away.

8. Replace your driveshaft with an aluminum driveshaft. Your engine will not increase in power but once again how and take engineered out is realised.

9. With all other suggestions employed, not having a custom reground cam would be a SIN!!! I suggest consulting an authority based on your needs but I always go for maximum torque which always yields maximum mpg .)

In summary, the cheapest, quickest power restoration is the removal of the crankcase driven fan. Headers are next but really need the full exhaust treatment to realise the gains. Better cooling us always going to help and of course the choice of quality components change at prescribed intervals is expected.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
premium fuel resists pre igniting in higher compression engines.

a normal beat down engine that was designed to run on 87 burns the fuel the same as 100.

most efficient way to add power is add a turbo charger...

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
Thanks Bobby ?

Thanks Bobby, I do not know how I forgot:

While you are having you engine rebuilt, mill the heads; every point of compression you raise the engine will yield 3-4 hp for free so the use of premium fuel will be well worth it and expected.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Uh... Bobby's not having a SOHC engine rebuilt. And I agree with him - premium fuel is worthless in this application as far as fuel efficiency.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Thanks Bobby, I do not know how I forgot:

While you are having you engine rebuilt, mill the heads; every point of compression you raise the engine will yield 3-4 hp for free so the use of premium fuel will be well worth it and expected.
your post is awesome...and if a guy did all the things you list the volumetric efficiency would likely get into the 90 percent plus and possibly need higher octane or conservative timing... just depends on what final static and dynamic cr ends up being.

but i am too lazy to put that kind of work into one of these unless its a class requirement...so a lazy bastard like me will go to the hair dryers and then add premium fuel...:D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals