• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A/C not working, Compressor comes on when jumped

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Hi all, my A/C hasn't worked since I bought the truck. I've jumped the compressor at the low pressure switch on the accumulator and the compressor kicks on. The system will not take freeon. What do I need to do?

JamesH

Reaction score
Like putting power to the switch or jumping the 2 pins to each other?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Start with a new switch, if that doesn't fix it roll down a window.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
^^ This unless you have the knowledge and means of repairing an AC system. I'm learning as I go with my Bronco 2 and taking my time reading a lot and re-reading. Very interesting and I read somewhere that you think you know about AC but you don't. Its very true. Tons of great information in the tech section of this forum on the AC system, how it works, and how to repair it very carefully and how to do it the right way. We all see those recharge cans at the stores with the little dial gauge...those things are garbage and spell disaster to your AC system as you are only getting 1/2 the information on that one gauge, not to mention most have leak sealants which most likely will plug up your orifice tube and everything else but not the real leak. Best to do a full system evacuation and start at the beginning in an unknown system or any system for that matter.

The PO of my Bronco 2 did tell me the compressor failed and was replaced, but the system was never evacuated, flushed, and repaired beyond the compressor replacement.

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Like putting power to the switch or jumping the 2 pins to each other?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Jumping the 2 pins together with a paperclip. The compressor took freeon and air blew kind of cold but then stopped. Been while, summer is back again.. still trying to get this fixed. Thanks.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Because we aren't there looking over your shoulder, any and all information possible should be coming from you. what was the outdoor temperature? what was it that gave you the idea the sys wouldn't take refrigerant? How long did you run it on the paperclip?
Hi all, my A/C hasn't worked since I bought the truck. I've jumped the compressor at the low pressure switch on the accumulator and the compressor kicks on. The system will not take freeon. What do I need to do?

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Because we aren't there looking over your shoulder, any and all information possible should be coming from you. what was the outdoor temperature? what was it that gave you the idea the sys wouldn't take refrigerant? How long did you run it on the paperclip?
The compressor was dry and wouldn’t kick on so I ran it on the paper clip long enough for it to start sucking refrigerant. Once it started I took the paper clip off and it ran on its own. Was about 87* out.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Do you have a pressure gauge? Read the pressure without the system running tell us what that is and what the outdoor temperature is at that time. Static pressure should be equal to the corresponding temperature on a TP chart
The compressor was dry and wouldn’t kick on so I ran it on the paper clip long enough for it to start sucking refrigerant. Once it started I took the paper clip off and it ran on its own. Was about 87* out.

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Do you have a pressure gauge? Read the pressure without the system running tell us what that is and what the outdoor temperature is at that time. Static pressure should be equal to the corresponding temperature on a TP chart
Yes I have a gauge, been a year since I tried.. the system is probabaly dead again. I will PM you my findings. Thanks for your help!

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Take pictures I'm not the "expert" when you start the system if it's low on refrigerant the compressor will go on and off rapidly or not at all, it will also short cycle with the proper charge and it's not hot outside.
Yes I have a gauge, been a year since I tried.. the system is probabaly dead again. I will PM you my findings. Thanks for your help!

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Take pictures I'm not the "expert" when you start the system if it's low on refrigerant the compressor will go on and off rapidly or not at all, it will also short cycle with the proper charge and it's not hot outside.
The gauge reads 0 at 80* outside ambient

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
0 = no refrigerant. A properly charged system that is not running at 80 degrees ambient should be about 86.5 psi
The gauge reads 0 at 80* outside ambient

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
0 = no refrigerant. A properly charged system that is not running at 80 degrees ambient should be about 86.5 psi
Bingo! Like I said.. I had to jump the plug in order to start compressor. Refrigerant was so low the compressor wouldn’t turn on any other way.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Bingo! Like I said.. I had to jump the plug in order to start compressor. Refrigerant was so low the compressor wouldn’t turn on any other way.
Yea theres an extremely good reason the compressor wont come on with no refrigerant in the system. No refrigerant means no oil... Chances are by now, sitting with no pressure for a year (or god knows how long) and having the compressor run without oil, the system needs way more work than a evac and recharge. Its a broken, neglected 27 year old AC system. Cut your losses and roll down the window.

Last edited:

Mhfco6

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
235/75/15
Yea theres an extremely good reason the compressor wont come on with no refrigerant in the system. No refrigerant means no oil... Chances are by now, sitting with no pressure for a year and having the compressor run without oil, the system needs way more work than a evac and recharge. Its a broken, neglected 27 year old AC system. Cut your losses and roll down the window.
Correct, had to jump it to start pulling fluid in. Compressor squealed like a pig. Figuring bad compressor, what else do you think I should take a look at? Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals